[tor-qa] differences between 3.x and 2.x

Erinn Clark erinn at torproject.org
Mon Jul 8 12:56:17 UTC 2013

* Katya Titov <kattitov at yandex.com> [2013:07:08 17:24 +1000]:
> I've added a few more tests: noting whether there is a system tray,
> whether the network map can be viewed, and whether a new ID can be
> generated without losing the current open tabs. I've added these
> because I think that they are important, but not available from the 3.x
> series. I'm torn between the 2.x and 3.x series at the moment - 2.x
> provides more information and functionality while 3.x is faster.

Good ideas and info. When we were discussing the new TBB launcher at our dev
meeting back in February I mentioned that people would really dislike not
having the map and one of my tasks is to have Vidalia built separately with the
same Gitian infrastructure so we can at least provide it as a standalone
application. I think it would be a bit cooler if we could find another solution
not involving Vidalia, but I'm not too sure what the best approach would be in
that case.

The system tray one is odd. On OSX the 3.x series gives me a little TorBrowser
icon which I assume is the equivalent functionality?

And thanks for the quick turnaround, Katya and Colin.