[tor-qa] TBB-alpha QA v2.3.20-alpha-1

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Aug 7 20:51:29 UTC 2012

Hi everyone!

We have new bundles available with a Tor release candidate (0.2.3.20-rc)
and new Tor Browser Bundles with a Firefox crash fix applied. Please try
to give us feedback within the next 36 hours at a maximum, but we'd
sincerely appreciate feedback before that because we really want to get
the release candidate widely tested as soon as possible. Windows testing
is especially important, as the 0.2.3.x tor client has not had very much
exposure to that platform yet.

You can find the alpha bundles themselves for Linux, Mac OSX, and
Windows at: https://people.torproject.org/~erinn/qa/alpha/torbrowser/

In the parent directory you can also find an obfsproxy build, which
would also be useful to report feedback for:
https://people.torproject.org/~erinn/qa/alpha/obfsproxy/

You have until Aug 9th 2012 13:00 UTC to test and report back before
we commit to releasing the current build. As this deadline approaches,
if you notice a particular platform that hasn't been tested, please give
it a quick spin if you can.

Please email this list directly with results or if you have any
questions. Keep in mind that an email saying "I tested TBB on Debian
Wheezy and found no bugs" is just as useful as a list of issues. I think
my own personal favorite response format so far was:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-qa/2012-June/000004.html but
as always feel free to innovate and improve on that. Note: I'm pretty
sure we don't need your specific CPU string, only x86 vs x64.

For testing ideas, see the BuildSignoff wiki page and the TBB design
document for information about different types of tests you can perform:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/build/BuildSignoff#DocumentationChecklist
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/#Testing

In particular, the crash bug from the last alpha appeared on
http://ip-check.info/ and http://news.bbc.co.uk.

Thank you for helping us make the Tor Browser Bundle better. Again,
please don't hesitate to email if you have questions. If you have any
suggestions on things we can do better, please let me know.

--
Mike Perry