[tor-project] sajolida's monthly status report, June 2024

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Mon Jun 17 20:38:50 UTC 2024

My second short contract this year ended last week, so I'm reporting for
June already.

### Desirability study (S09, ux/research#137)

Finished analyzing the desirability study that we did as part of the
Privacy Resilience Grants with partners in East Africa.

Report:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/uploads/f64496059f692f7d071355481197fc6f/S09_Desirability_study.pdf

The new illustrations were described positively by participants overall.

Tor was perceived as advanced technology that is helpful, effective, and
trustworthy, but not as approachable as we want to be.

To improve, we should focus on simplicity and clarity.

### Card sorting (S09, ux/research#8)

Finished analyzing the card sorting that we also did as part of the
Privacy Resilience Grants.

Report:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/uploads/1cf2bd5006067633698ac30cae676418/S09_Card_sorting.pdf

Most participants used a classification scheme based on value (or
threat, it's opposite) with categories such as "Censorship", "Privacy",
"Identity", and "Connectivity", while support.torproject.org has much
more emphasis on technologies, with categories such as "Tor Browser",
"Tor Mobile", "HTTPS", etc.

### Retrospective on user research for Sponsor 9

I did a solo retrospective on these 2 studies and Sponsor 9 in general.

For both studies, I think that we would have had better results, in less
time, and maybe even cheaper, by doing the studies ourselves.

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/138

### Mullvad Browser installer (S131, applications/mullvad-browser#200)

Reviewed the strings for Mullvad Browser Installer:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/merge_requests/976

--
sajolida