[tor-project] sajolida's monthly status report, May 2024

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Mon Jun 3 19:14:43 UTC 2024

Here is what I did in May on S09, S101, and S131.

### Desirability study (S09, ux/research#137)

We received 54 answers to the survey for trainees who took part of the
Privacy Resilience Grants in East Africa. That's lots of data. Great!

I built a spreadsheet to analyze all this data.

### Card sorting (S09, ux/research#8)

We received 18 results from the card sorting facilitated by the 3
partners in East Africa. Unfortunately, I discarded 11 of these results
because of the very poor quality of the data. That left me with too
little data to do a solid correlation analysis between the sorts.

Thankfully, @SugarArchivist saved the day by conducting 4 more sorts in
the US. That's still not a lot for strong correlation, but that gives me
enough material to do some analysis.

I started doing the analysis using a methodology by Donna Spencer:

https://rosenfeldmedia.com/people/donna-spencer/

### Mullvad Browser installer (S131, applications/mullvad-browser#200)

Helped @pierov and @ruihildt polish the copy for the Mullvad Browser
installer. We're almost there!

### Usability tests of Tor VPN (S101, ux/research#69)

I tested Tor VPN some more to understand better when bridges don't work.

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/onionmasq/-/issues/97

The tests are ready to be run whenever we have a good enough prototype!

- I identified 10 strong candidates for the usability tests who already
   used VPNs and some of them Tor as well.

- I prepared realistic tasks for them to perform on Tor VPN and aligned
   with the priorities identified with the development team:

- I redacted stepped tasks (in Spanish):

   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/69#user-tasks

- I improved my network to simulate censorship of Telegram and websites.

- I prepared the consent paperwork for the tests.

--
sajolida