[tor-project] disruption in email services

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Thu Dec 15 20:32:05 UTC 2022

Status update, week two: TL;DR: situation mostly fixed. Next work in 2023.

Things seem to have gone back to normal. In fact, I've been a little
hesitant in sending this email, because I'm worried that people will
suddenly remember all those issues they've been having with email
forever and remind me how everything *else* is broken, but dang, it
looks like we kind of made it?

As far as I can tell, emails send through the submission server have
stopped bouncing (#40640 closed!), authentication problems for messages
actually delivered at gmail have stopped (#40765 closed!) and other
outright gmail bounces seem to have also stopped (#40959 closed!).

That is a *major* improvement, in such a short time span. There are
still issues with our mail services, of course... In particular, email
forwards are still in somewhat of a gray zone. They are *technically*
not allowed, especially for senders with a hard SPF policy, but that was
already a problem before. We *may* see delivery problems for mails sent
*internally*, but, again, probably not worse off than what we were
before.

And, for the record, we are well within my time estimates for the labor
on this. We still have a *lot* of work to do to complete (even a plan
for) the mail infrastructure, but I'm going to call this one as fixed
for now, as the next steps require further thinking, and even more major
architectural changes. So I'm going to reserve those for that
non-proverbial next year.

In the meantime, I'll work on another one of my famous
proposal. Apparently, ChatGPT can generate those for me now, so maybe
I'll give that a shot.. ;)

"Make a proposal for torproject.org mail services in the style of
anarcat's TPA-RFC" please?

A.

--
Antoine Beaupré