[tor-project] disruption in email services

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Wed Dec 7 20:37:40 UTC 2022

Status update, day three:

We now have "soft" SPF and DMARC records on all mail servers and DKIM
signatures on the three major mail servers.

This will probably impact users currently sending mail from gmail and
riseup, as their reputation will suffer from not being in the allow
lists. If this is a problem, an `include:riseup.net include:google.com`
mechanism could be added to the top-level SPF policy.

Next step is to finish the DKIM deployment (#40989) and then make the
DMARC and SPF records "hard", which will happen once we are more
confident this will cause more good than harm.

Work on the mail exchanger may also start soon, alongside other
mitigations for problems we may encounter from here on.

Do let us know here if you encounter problems or improvements. As usual,
you can follow our work in GitLab in:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40981

Comment there or file new issues in:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/new