[tor-project] Is your trac wiki legacy page obsolete? Get a redirect!

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Mon Apr 26 14:12:59 UTC 2021

On 2021-04-23 15:03:23, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> By default the trac wiki pages redirect to the "legacy wiki" version of
> each page on gitlab. And that page is frozen in time from many months
> ago when we did the transition.
>
> Google and other search engines still have the trac pages as their
> favorite answers, and that means when people search for your wiki page,
> they end up on the frozen inaccurate legacy page.
>
> I'm trying to get this fixed, starting with the Snowflake page as a
> proof of concept:
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40233
>
> So: does your team have a new gitlab wiki page too? Are you sick of
> having your users read the old broken wrong legacy wiki page? If so,
> please add your <old page, new page> pair as a comment to that gitlab
> issue (using RewriteRule style regexps if you want), and we'll try to
> get it fixed.

To expand on this, bonus points for patterns that cover large swaths of
the wiki. In the above issue, there's an example of the Tor Browser team
trying to come up with a pattern that covers their entire "namespace",
petting many cats with one figurative hand...

If you are unfamiliar with Apache, RewriteRules, regular expressions,
and those kind of magic incantations, we also take regular english (and
possibly french or spanish) description of the changes to be performed,
in the above ticket or by email, see also:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/wikis/policy/tpa-rfc-2-support#how-to-get-help

> (I heard there are some other possible plans for maybe making the new
> gitlab wiki pages more usable, more centralized, not even on gitlab at
> all anymore, or other ideas. That's all fine and should be compatible
> with this plan.)

Yeaah... that's definitely something we need to work on as well. :)

a.
--
Antoine Beaupré
torproject.org system administration