[tor-project] Is your trac wiki legacy page obsolete? Get a redirect!

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Fri Apr 23 19:03:23 UTC 2021

Hi folks!

By default the trac wiki pages redirect to the "legacy wiki" version of
each page on gitlab. And that page is frozen in time from many months
ago when we did the transition.

Google and other search engines still have the trac pages as their
favorite answers, and that means when people search for your wiki page,
they end up on the frozen inaccurate legacy page.

I'm trying to get this fixed, starting with the Snowflake page as a
proof of concept:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40233

So: does your team have a new gitlab wiki page too? Are you sick of
having your users read the old broken wrong legacy wiki page? If so,
please add your <old page, new page> pair as a comment to that gitlab
issue (using RewriteRule style regexps if you want), and we'll try to
get it fixed.

(I heard there are some other possible plans for maybe making the new
gitlab wiki pages more usable, more centralized, not even on gitlab at
all anymore, or other ideas. That's all fine and should be compatible
with this plan.)

Thanks!
--Roger