[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 26 Mar 2020
phw at torproject.org
Thu Mar 26 21:07:46 UTC 2020
Here are our meeting minutes:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday April 1st 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
* Next planning session: last week of April
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* Past meetings' notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
* GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors we are working on:
* Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
--- March 26th 2020 --
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
* Can we close https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29863 (snowflake infra disk space monitoring) ?
* What's there to do for https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29274 (get developers using new PT alphas) ?
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
* reported TLS MITM of GitHub Pages in China
== Reading group ==
* We will discuss "Detecting Probe-resistant Proxies" on April 2
* Questions to ask and goals to have:
* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
* Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
This week (2020-03-26):
* Made decent progress on making BridgeDB report internal metrics (#31422).
* Merged patch that made docker obfs4 image support docker-compose to (re-)deploy container. Thanks to thymbahutymba for the patch!
* Spent a lot of time debugging the failure that resulted from my own creation (#33709).
* Merged #31967, thanks to agix for the patch!
* Fixed and merged #30317.
* Implemented #33631.
* Revised #30941.
* Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and brainstorm new ones
* Pay attention to volunteer work (help agix with BridgeDB reviews; thymbahutymba with docker; Sergey with https proxy)
* Make BridgeDB report internal metrics (#31422)
* Catch up on RACE; in particular wrt obfs4 improvements
Last week (2020-03-26):
* not much related to anti-censorship
This week (planned):
* not much related to anti-censorship
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-03-26
- Updated Snowflake license (#33637)
- worked on learning about Debian for Snowflake (#19409)
- chipped away at updating the debian obfs4proxy package (#33736)
- travis fixes for #33593
- lots of grant writing, the grant seems pretty much finished!
- lots of gsoc things, reviewed proposals, talked to applicants
- created #33740
- reviewed #33631 and #30317
- read up on history of #33693
- Resume obfs4 and snowflake tests (#31701, #32657, and #32545)
- see if i can help push snowflake for android along (#28672)
- write a patch for #33693
- look into proxy issues (#33666)
- take a look at reviving the twitter responder in GetTor (#33036)
Needs help with:
- merged #33665
- maybe the proxy parts of #19026
- start on #31201
- review of #19026 but also answer the question there
- announced snowflake-turbotunnel packages built on 9.5a8 (#33519)
- discussed snowflake client metrics (#33693)
- security upgrade of snowflake bridge (#33644)
- closed ticket for multiple SOCKS connections in turbotunnel snowflake (#33519)
- reviewed unsafe logging patch (#33665)
- investigated effects of missing client_ip at snowflake bridge (#33157)
- file ticket for snowflake-turbotunnel merge
- share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
- gonna be afk with kids
- working with Babatunde's interviews (OTF Fellowship) from Nigeria and Cameroon. Shared preliminar notes with Tunde and Nah (#32811)
- started to work on this user research document, we still stick to the plan of running it during April (#31870)
- nothing yet :)
- Finally patched #31967
- Finished the project proposal
- Patch #31426
- Patch #33647
- worked on #5304 (Obfsproxy should respect OutboundBindAddress in torrc)
- more work on #5304 and other s28/s30 tickets
- CI/CD using github actions.
- docker-obfs4-bridge CI/CD (testing and multiarch-testing branch) with release on hub.docker.com.
- How should work (be triggered) the release of different arch images?
Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
- Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
More information about the tor-project