[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 5 February 2020

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Mon Feb 10 14:52:24 UTC 2020

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Wednesday the 5th of
February 2020.

1) We started out with roadmap. People were asked to prioritize 0.4.3
tickets.

2) We looked at the 0.4.3 status page.

3) Discussion on next steps for C style work. It was decided that we
have a meeting on Wed 12th of February at 23 UTC to discuss this
further.

4) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read the network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-02-05-22.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

Nick:
    Week of Jan 27 (planned):
        - Review all incoming 043 patches on my queue *
        - Read and answer Mike's big congestion document *
        - Release 0.4.2 and 0.4.1.  (Is a final 0.4.0 called for?) *
        - More PETS discussion, and artifact review. *
        - Triage 0.4.3 and assign tickets with ahf. *
        - Take care of whatever 0.4.3 tickets are assigned to me.
        - Sketch out Walking Onions work plan.
        - Answer and discuss pending stuff about C style project.
        - Time permitting:
            - Review pending patches for 044
            - Make more dirauth options optional (32139)
            - Stem tracing? (30901)
    Week of Jan 27 (actual):
        - Releases for 0.4.2.x and 0.4.1.x
        - Worked on Clusterfuzz timeout issues (33118)
        - Worked on a bunch of 043-must/should items; get several of them into needs-review.  Lots of analysis here.
        - Read and suggested edits to Mike's big congestion document.
        - Follow up on comments about C style
        - Review and merge patches.
        - Started working on patches to deprecated options (31180)
        - Triaged 043 tickets with ahf.
        - Started a bug-retrospective analysis with teor
        - Wrapped up paper-related PETS2020 stuff; only artifacts left!
        - Investigated logs related to directory authority DoS; proposed a compression-based solution.
        - Opened tickets for two TROVE issues; one low and one medium severity.
        - Reviewed proposal 312.
    Week of 2 Feb (planned):
        - Finish bug retrospective.
        - Solve as many 043-must/should issues as I can.
        - Review and merge.
        - Keep an eye on blog comments about recent stable releases.
        - Plan for an alpha early next week.
        - More work on paper with Ian and Chelsea (revisions due 15 Feb)
        - Review Teor's proposal 313 once it's out
        - Integrate revisions to prop295 before I forget completely

catalyst:

    week of 01/27 (2020-W05) (planned):
        - reviews
        - retrospective 01/29
    week of 01/27 (2020-W05) (actual):
        - retrospective 01/29
        - reviewed some more gsod work (#32928, #32929)
        - debugged some more about why LeakSanitizer seemed to not be working (#33087)
    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (planned):
        - reviews
        - getting feedback on .github repo stuff (#32335)
        - feedback cycle stuff
    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (actual):
        - more review of gsod work (#32928, #32929), with nickm's help

ahf:
    Week of 27/1 2020 (planned):
        - Ticket triage with Nick.
        - Continue on sponsored work.
        - Try to read and understand Mike Perry's epic pad.
        - Read and follow up on Teor's IPv6 propsal(s).
        - Prepare slides for FOSDEM and travel to FOSDEM (will thus be AFK from IRC on most of Thursday and all of Friday).
          - Hope to catch up with Juga while in Brussels and hear what they are up to.
          - Hope to spend some time with ln5 and hack on his key hw/vault idea.
          - If there is anybody we should meet and talk with at FOSDEM, now is a good time to say so.
    Week of 27/1 2020 (actually):
        - Ticket triage.
        - Tried to wrap my head around Mike's email and Tim's proposals.
        - Did slides for FOSDEM, went to FOSDEM, spoke at FOSDEM. Went OK.
        - Met with Juga and Gaba to look at SBWS grant.
        - Hanged out with Juga who gave me an introduction to the sbws internals and how the tool works.
        - Spoke with Linus and Peter Stuge about the vault idea.
    Week of 3/2 2020 (planned):
        - Work on one of the TROVE's.
        - Tried to wrap my head around the HS randevouz blog post.
        - EOM tasks from January.
        - Some follow ups related to peer review and FOSDEM.

asn:
   Week of 20/01 (actual):
   - Almost recovered physically.
   - Took over #32709 from David (Thanks David!) and discussed it with Nick (Thanks Nick!)
   - Started working on remaining #32709 items.
   - Various S27 planning moves.
   Week of 27/01 (planned):
   - Finalize #32709 so that I can use it for testing OBv3.
   - Get back to doing reviews etc.

Mike:
    Last week (planned):
      - Have gaba+isa review role descriptions
      - Metrics kickoff meeting
      - Work on explicit congestion notification meta-proposal
      - File perf-related roadmap tickets
      - Triage + prioritize circpad, vanguards bugs
    Last week (actual):
      - Had gaba+isa review role descriptions; worked on 2020 plan
      - Metrics kickoff meeting
      - Worked on explicit congestion notification meta-proposal
    This week (planned):
      - Mozilla all hands
      - Congestion control tor-dev post
    Maybe dropping due to Mozilla:
      - File perf-related roadmap tickets
      - Write mails to researchers re circpad docs + simulator
      - Triage + prioritize circpad, vanguards bugs

dgoulet:
  Week of Jan 20th (actual):
    - Reviews and merges and meetings.
    - Worked on #33018/#33029.
    - The email world was strong that week.
    - Logistics for NetDev'14 conference in March. Rob and I were accepted for
      a talk there.
  Week of Jan 27th (planned):
    - Continue into the #33018 and #33029 madness world.
    - Hopefully make progress on ticket assigned to me on the roadmap.

Gaba:
  Week of January something... (actual)

      - Roadmap life

      - Run behind Trac

      - Sustain OSS and Fosdem

      - sbws roadmap

    Week of February 6th (planned)

    - s55

    - reduce scalabiltiy project to fit new requirements

    - survive a pile of mails

    - run behind trac again

teor: (online first meeting of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

   Week of 27 January (planned):
       Take Time for:
           - Backports (if needed)
           - Draft sponsor 55 (relay IPv6) roadmap
               - Create tickets (once proposals have been reviewed)
           - Revise Proposal 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability: (please review!) (#24404)
             https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2020-January/014132.html
           - Draft Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses (#33073)
           - Draft Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics ?
           - Update Proposal 306: Client Auto IPv6 Connections ? (#33043)
             - based on proposals 311 and 312
       Roadmap:
           - (Transitioning between unfunded work / 0.4.3 fixes, and Sponsor 55)
       Other:
           - Code Reviews

   Week of 27 January (actual):
       Take Time for:
           - Revise Proposal 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability (#24404)
           - Draft and Revise Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses (#33073)
           - Backports before releases
       Roadmap:
           - #33091 minor change related to Sponsor 55 O1.2
       Other:
           - Added info to #31009 - Use public relay addresses for PTs
               - Related to Relay Auto IPv6 Address: proposal 312 and ticket #5940
                 (Sponsor 55)
           - Added info to #33018 - Dir auths using an unsustainable 400+ mbit/s
               - Related to Relay Auto IPv6 Address: proposal 312 and ticket #5940
                 (Sponsor 55)
           - Added info to #31180 - Remove deprecated options in 0.4.3
               - Not actually related to Sponsor 55, but nickm thought that it was
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews
           - Help with minor CI changes (#32455, #33075)
           - Help with LeakSanitizer bugs (#33087, #31594)

   Week of 3 February (planned):
       Take Time for:
           - Revise Proposal 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability (#24404)
           - Revise Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses (#33073)
           - Draft Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (ticket?)
           - sbws roadmap review
           - sbws funding proposal review
           - Merge proposals 311 and 312, and send out final drafts to tor-dev
       Roadmap:
           - Make tickets for roadmap, based on proposals 311 and 312
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews

   Week of 3 February (actual):
       Take Time for:
           - Revise Proposal 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability (#24404)
           - Revise Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses (#33073)
           - Merge proposals 311 and 312
           - Start Drafting Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (#33159)
           - sbws roadmap review
           - responding to emails and IRC
       Roadmap:
           - responding to questions on sponsor 55 tickets
           - update other tickets based on Sponsor 55 analysis and proposals
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews
           - Opened #33156 for a DoS subsystem IPv6 bug
           - GSoC potential IPv6 project: update project info based on latest proposals
           - Security issue analysis

    Need help with:
        - Please review Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses: (for Sponsor 55)
          https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2020-January/014136.html

--
Alexander Færøy