[tor-project] January 2020 report for the UX team

Antonela Debiasi tor at antonela.me
Mon Feb 10 17:48:22 UTC 2020

Hello Tor,

Onion Services
==============
We are on the last bit of making the Tor Browser user experience with
onionsites smoother and more intuitive. We've been iterating over the
client errors for onionsites and also reaching consistency with the
onion identity presence in the URL bar. We were discussing them here:

Also, we've been working on deploying memorable names for onionsites.
This proof-of-concept will allow end-users to type a readable address at
the URL bar like [antonela.tor.onion], and Tor Browser will serve the
associated onion service. Users will be able to inspect and copy the
original 56-character domain name too.

User Research - S9
==================
During December, community members from Colombia and Kenya ran user
research over the Tor Browser download process. During January, we
worked on reporting their findings. Nah is uploading our reports here:
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/ux/research/tree/master/reports/2019/community

S30
===
OONI has been working on making Tor vanilla test available to run in all
the OONI Probe apps. We've worked on its user interface and reviewing
the implementation across platforms.
https://github.com/orgs/ooni/projects/3

L10n
====
Emmapeel and the invaluable collaboration of the volunteers made the Tor
Browser manual available in lithuanian. Pažiūrėk čia:
https://tb-manual.torproject.org/lt

She also has been working on documenting the l10n workflow for
translators in
https://community.torproject.org/localization/

Outreach
========
The Tor Project will host the Tor village during the last days of the
Internet Freedom Festival. We are collaborating with the Community Team
on setting up the agenda and also managing the invites. If you are
interested in joining us in Valencia, stay tuned!

Open Team
=========
We roadmapped the work for the UX team in 2020. You can sneak peek what
we will be hacking on here
https://nc.torproject.net/s/CqiqS7NRrfPkmLx

If you missed those, January weekly meetings notes are here:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2020-January/000483.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2020-January/000484.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2020-January/000485.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2020-January/000486.html