[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 09 Apr 2020
phw at torproject.org
Thu Apr 9 18:34:29 UTC 2020
Here are our meeting minutes:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday April 9th 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
* Next planning session: last week of April
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* Past meeting notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
* GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors we are working on:
* Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
--- April 9th 2020 --
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
== Actions ==
* Please jot down your March 2020 highlights for our monthly team report
== Interesting links ==
== Reading group ==
* We will discuss "SymTCP: Eluding Stateful Deep Packet Inspectionwith Automated Discrepancy Discovery" on April 16
* Questions to ask and goals to have:
* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
* Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
This week (2020-04-09):
* Made sure that my feedback was still covered in catalyst's rebase of #5304.
* Left some feedback in #10831.
* Found a new maintainer of a next default bridge in noisebridge.
* Finally wrapped up #13727 now that noisebridge01 is no longer in Tor Browser.
* Wrapped up #29686 and #30941.
* Filed #33835.
* Reviewed Tor Research Safety Board submission.
* Organised letter of support for an OTF application that seeks to distribute bridges in Turkey.
* Made good progress on #32740.
* Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and brainstorm new ones
* Make BridgeDB report internal metrics (#31422)
* Will have to tackle #32740 (Implement a feedback loop between BridgeDB and OONI)
Last week (2020-03-30):
* not much related to anti-censorship
This week (planned):
* anti-censorship retrospective
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-04-09
- diagnosed proxy issues (#33666)
- some grant submission things
- started looking into building a test suite for NAT topologies (#25595)
- investigated setting up a TURN server (#25596)
- gave feedback on #32740
- team retrospective
- popets things (paper reviews, artifact review)
- sent an email to the pion peeps about testing NAT topologies (#25595)
- Resume obfs4 tests (#31701, #32657)
- see if i can help push snowflake for android along (#28672)
- set up some kind of NAT topology testing suite (#25595)
- look into setting up a TURN server (#25596)
- take a look at reviving the twitter responder in GetTor (#33036)
- review GSoC proposals
Needs help with:
- Tried to study Moat to implement audio captchas
- Implement audio captchas in moat
- Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
- Question about current Moat implementation - it seems to be using XUL, which is deprecated by Firefox if I'm not wrong. I
saw a thread in trac discussing reimplementing it with the newer Web Extensions API (but that was years ago)- is that still going on?
- merged #33665
- maybe the proxy parts of #19026
- start on #31201
- review of #19026 but also answer the question there
- worked on branches for snowflake turbotunnel merge (#33745)
- helped test snowflake proxy failures (#33666)
- removed uniuri dependency from snowflake (#33800)
- branches for snowflake turbotunnel merge (#33745)
- share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
- gonna be afk with kids
- working with Babatunde's interviews (OTF Fellowship) from Nigeria and Cameroon. Shared preliminar notes with Tunde and Nah (#32811)
- started to work on this user research document, we still stick to the plan of running it during April (#31870)
- nothing yet :)
- Worked on #19997, but the issue seems to be in check.torproject
- Worked on #33835, patch needs a few more tests before submission
- Check out check.torproject's code base
- network team roadmapping and estimating s28/s30 tickets
- looking into how best to coordinate work on reachability testing (thanks, teor)
- CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
changed into the Dockerfile.
Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
- Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
More information about the tor-project