[tor-project] Potential trademark violation - TOR Browser PRO

emma peel emma.peel at riseup.net
Fri Jan 4 08:08:00 UTC 2019

Nima Fatemi:
>> I did see a number of unauthorized t-shirts and hoodies online yesterday as well. I’ll add them to my list.
>
> We send the letters to these apps so the snake-oil ones are pulled and
> the ones that are legit, are more clear that they're not affiliated or
> endorsed by the tor project, as there's a good chance of harming the
> users who seek privacy and anonymity.
>
> But why are we sending letters who print Tor tshirts and hoodies? Are we
> gonna do the same with stickers too? I wonder what's the logic behind
> that...

I agree with Nima here. I would not enforce trademark protections on hoodies or t-shirts, only on fishy software, or something that may contain malicious software...

Stickers... well, I rather have our fans doing them, as they are more an expense than an income stream.

Bootlegged Tor t-shirts are also spreading our message, and could eventually become a donation. They are also made by local shops usually, so the model is more decentralized.

In Tails we encourage people to make Tails t-shirts, sell them, recover the costs and give us a little.