[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 18 April 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Apr 18 21:01:40 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-18-20.01.html

Here is our meeting pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday April 18th 20:00 UTC

Weekly meetings every Thursday 20:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

THE Anti-censorship Roadmap (kanban board): https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM <-- a subset of tasks from trac that the team is working on.

Roadmap by topic: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN

Gettor Roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/rhsSl_3Pb253HPqoCdFiAdmXQ57NUG_BLvBCxqF_Kqp

Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan: https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep

PTO Calendar: Ask gaba for the link and keep it up to date with when you are not going to be around.

    * We now have a sysmon deployment that monitors anti-censorship infrastructure
        * Thanks to gman999!
        * Monitors BridgeDB, snowflake machines, GetTor, default Tor Browser bridges.
        * cohosh and phw are getting alerts over email.
        * Anyting else that you want monitored?

== Discussion ==

    * What GetTor-related material should we include in Sponsor 19 & in anti-censorship team roadmap?
        * hiro wants to be the new mantainer of GetTor.
        * Do we have a backup maintainer?
        * For the roadmap, the update from hiro has a list ( https://nc.riseup.net/s/na23xE4MJH2rsoD ) of what could be included:
            * automation
            * monitoring
            * deploy new code
    * Report Writing
        * report 1: status of anti-censorship at Tor
        * report 2: plans for anti-censorship at Tor <-- final report
        * anything else?
    * Let's start the meeting sooner to make it easier for non-NA participants?
        * moving it to 1700 UTC
    * Retire default bridges that went offline?
    * Metrics team want us to be careful (while we still do not have a guide but soon we will) on data collection. Let's check with them once there is a review #21315
    * dcf: purging unsanitized Snowflake logs - see https://bugs.torproject.org/30125#comment:7
        * #30125 will sanitize the snowflake logs. I'd like us to commit to a deadline for doing something with the old pre-sanitization logs, or else deleting them.
        * What specific statistics or visualizations do you want from the old logs? We can make sure to retain the information to make those possible, before deleting the originals.

    * Lets review roadmap briefly. Is there anything that you are working on that is not in the in-progress column?  https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
    * Code reviews assignment?

== Actions ==

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    Last week:
        - What you worked on last week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

phw:
  This week (2019-04-18):
    - Created team wiki page and had mailing list created -> sign up!
    - Lots of work on #28655.  Looks good!  Need better unit tests.
    - Worked with gman999 on infrastructure monitoring.  Also looking good!
    - Had a chat with dgoulet and sysrqb about BridgeDB specifics.
    - Chat with hellais about updated version of "vanilla tor" test.
  Next week:
  Help with:
    - Feedback on https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9316#comment:16
    - Let me know if you want any machines or services monitored!
    - hiro: Can you help us with #30152?
        Yes I can help with this. Anarcat has been setting up a different prometheus instance to monitor services. This could be part of that effort. --hiro

hiro:
    GetTor Status
    https://nc.riseup.net/s/na23xE4MJH2rsoD

Gaba:
    This week (04/15):
        * checking on gettor

ahf (gonna be missing at the meeting, but will read backlog):
    Last week (2019/4/4):
        - Meeting with gaba, cohosh, & phw Monday
        - Went over roadmap items in new roadmap docs.
        - Lots of tiny network team tasks.
        - Continued work on #t/#29206.
   This week (2019/4/11):
      - Mostly network-team tasks so far. Was off Wednesday.
      - Gitlab/LDAP access have been established.
      - Continue to hack on #29736 (and transition it off to cohosh too)
      - Gaba and I talked at our 1:1 Friday that I'll return to network team tasks only in May.

kat5:
      Last week (April 8):
        - Started GetTor content
        - Copy editing
        - Conditionalized URLs
        - Figured out what's left
     This week (April 15):
        - Reviews/notes
        - queries re: author list
     Help with:
        - What else we want to report on (continuing discussion w/ gaba and phw from email)

dcf: 2019-04-18
    Last week:
        - reviewed Snowflake broker robots.txt patch (#29565)
        - reviewed further Snowflake log sanitization (#30125)
        - reviewed Snowflake broker proxy geoip patch (#29734)
        - helped debug a Snowflake broker outage (#30205)
        - AMP cache prototyping
        - worked on improving meek-client-torbrowser termination (#25613)
    Next week:
        - have meek-client-torbrowser signal exit by closing child process stdin (#25613)
        - AMP cache prototyping
        - comment on #29863
    Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-04-18
    Last week:
        (was out a bit due to flooding and then course-related things)
        - snowflake
            - merged and deployed #30125 (log sanitization)
            - became familiar with the rbm tor browser build system
            - closed #29565 (robots.txt)
            - dealt with #30205 (problem with log rotation during #30125 deployment)
        - community stuff
            - had a call with CGIProxy
    Next week:
        - snowflake
            - take a look at metrics team notes on #21315
            - revise proxy geoip patch (#29734)
            - take a look at windows reproducible build problem (#25483)
            - work on client connectivity issues (#25429)
            - snowflake dog food
    Help with:
        - are we at an ok place to deploy what we have set up for #29863?

catalyst:

    week of 4/11 (planned):
        - more sponsor31 work; maybe also #29976 as prep work for more bootstrap reporting improvements
    week of 4/11 (actual):
        - handed off #29276 (Make a release of BridgeDB) to phw
        - more sponsor31 work (control-fmt review #30091; control-proto stuff #30007)
        - travel logistics
    week of 4/18 (planned):
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff