[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 18 April 2019
phw at torproject.org
Thu Apr 18 21:01:40 UTC 2019
Here are our meeting logs:
Here is our meeting pad:
ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday April 18th 20:00 UTC
Weekly meetings every Thursday 20:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
THE Anti-censorship Roadmap (kanban board): https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM <-- a subset of tasks from trac that the team is working on.
Roadmap by topic: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN
Gettor Roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/rhsSl_3Pb253HPqoCdFiAdmXQ57NUG_BLvBCxqF_Kqp
Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan: https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep
PTO Calendar: Ask gaba for the link and keep it up to date with when you are not going to be around.
---- 18th April 2019 ----
== Announcements ==
* We now have a team wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* We now have a mailing list: https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/anti-censorship-team
* We now have a sysmon deployment that monitors anti-censorship infrastructure
* Thanks to gman999!
* Monitors BridgeDB, snowflake machines, GetTor, default Tor Browser bridges.
* cohosh and phw are getting alerts over email.
* Anyting else that you want monitored?
== Discussion ==
* What GetTor-related material should we include in Sponsor 19 & in anti-censorship team roadmap?
* hiro wants to be the new mantainer of GetTor.
* Do we have a backup maintainer?
* For the roadmap, the update from hiro has a list ( https://nc.riseup.net/s/na23xE4MJH2rsoD ) of what could be included:
* deploy new code
* Report Writing
* report 1: status of anti-censorship at Tor
* report 2: plans for anti-censorship at Tor <-- final report
* anything else?
* Let's start the meeting sooner to make it easier for non-NA participants?
* moving it to 1700 UTC
* Retire default bridges that went offline?
* Metrics team want us to be careful (while we still do not have a guide but soon we will) on data collection. Let's check with them once there is a review #21315
* dcf: purging unsanitized Snowflake logs - see https://bugs.torproject.org/30125#comment:7
* #30125 will sanitize the snowflake logs. I'd like us to commit to a deadline for doing something with the old pre-sanitization logs, or else deleting them.
* What specific statistics or visualizations do you want from the old logs? We can make sure to retain the information to make those possible, before deleting the originals.
* Lets review roadmap briefly. Is there anything that you are working on that is not in the in-progress column? https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
* Code reviews assignment?
== Actions ==
== Updates ==
- What you worked on last week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
This week (2019-04-18):
- Created team wiki page and had mailing list created -> sign up!
- Lots of work on #28655. Looks good! Need better unit tests.
- Worked with gman999 on infrastructure monitoring. Also looking good!
- Had a chat with dgoulet and sysrqb about BridgeDB specifics.
- Chat with hellais about updated version of "vanilla tor" test.
- Feedback on https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9316#comment:16
- Let me know if you want any machines or services monitored!
- hiro: Can you help us with #30152?
Yes I can help with this. Anarcat has been setting up a different prometheus instance to monitor services. This could be part of that effort. --hiro
This week (04/15):
* checking on gettor
ahf (gonna be missing at the meeting, but will read backlog):
Last week (2019/4/4):
- Meeting with gaba, cohosh, & phw Monday
- Went over roadmap items in new roadmap docs.
- Lots of tiny network team tasks.
- Continued work on #t/#29206.
This week (2019/4/11):
- Mostly network-team tasks so far. Was off Wednesday.
- Gitlab/LDAP access have been established.
- Continue to hack on #29736 (and transition it off to cohosh too)
- Gaba and I talked at our 1:1 Friday that I'll return to network team tasks only in May.
Last week (April 8):
- Started GetTor content
- Copy editing
- Conditionalized URLs
- Figured out what's left
This week (April 15):
- queries re: author list
- What else we want to report on (continuing discussion w/ gaba and phw from email)
- reviewed Snowflake broker robots.txt patch (#29565)
- reviewed further Snowflake log sanitization (#30125)
- reviewed Snowflake broker proxy geoip patch (#29734)
- helped debug a Snowflake broker outage (#30205)
- AMP cache prototyping
- worked on improving meek-client-torbrowser termination (#25613)
- have meek-client-torbrowser signal exit by closing child process stdin (#25613)
- AMP cache prototyping
- comment on #29863
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-04-18
(was out a bit due to flooding and then course-related things)
- merged and deployed #30125 (log sanitization)
- became familiar with the rbm tor browser build system
- closed #29565 (robots.txt)
- dealt with #30205 (problem with log rotation during #30125 deployment)
- community stuff
- had a call with CGIProxy
- take a look at metrics team notes on #21315
- revise proxy geoip patch (#29734)
- take a look at windows reproducible build problem (#25483)
- work on client connectivity issues (#25429)
- snowflake dog food
- are we at an ok place to deploy what we have set up for #29863?
week of 4/11 (planned):
- more sponsor31 work; maybe also #29976 as prep work for more bootstrap reporting improvements
week of 4/11 (actual):
- handed off #29276 (Make a release of BridgeDB) to phw
- more sponsor31 work (control-fmt review #30091; control-proto stuff #30007)
- travel logistics
week of 4/18 (planned):
- mostly sponsor31 stuff
More information about the tor-project