[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 11 April 2019
phw at torproject.org
Fri Apr 12 00:44:30 UTC 2019
Here are our meetings logs:
Here is our meeting pad:
ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday April 11th 20:00 UTC
Weekly meetings every Thursday 20:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
THE Anti-censorship Roadmap (kanban board): https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM <-- a subset of tasks from trac that the team is working on.
Roadmap by topic: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN
Gettor Roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/rhsSl_3Pb253HPqoCdFiAdmXQ57NUG_BLvBCxqF_Kqp
Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan: https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep
PTO Calendar: Ask gaba for the link and keep it up to date with when you are not going to be around.
---- 11th April 2019 ----
== Announcements ==
* A reminder to change owner of ticket to yourself in trac if you are working on that ticket.
== Discussion ==
* What GetTor-related material should we include in Sponsor 19 & in anti-censorship team roadmap? <-- move this discussion for next week.
* hiro wants to be the new mantainer of GetTor. Do we have a backup maintainer?
* Do we want a (public) anti-censorship team mailing list? We can use it for:
* Coordinating team meetings
* Making it easy for people to contact the team (e.g., in case of censorship events)
* Hopefully, a public mailing list does not discourage anyone
* Publishing our monthly team reports
* Bringing up and discussing related anti-censorship efforts (e.g., v2ray tool)
* Pointing out when something in our docs or processes is broken
* How can/should this overlap with the traffic-obf Google mailing list?
* How are we going to manage code reviews? So far asn helped.
* reviews will be assigned in this weekly meeting.
* On Monitoring infrastructure <-- let's bring this conversation to next week.
* Let's add https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30121 to our roadmap backlog? Anything else to add/edit to the roadmap?
* Plan for project maintainership
* We should strive for two maintainers per project
* dcf: should we remove serene's snowflake.git commit access? Not used since March 2017. https://bugs.torproject.org/30044#comment:2 shows the users with commit access. Cf. #30138 regarding an admin account.
== Actions ==
== Updates ==
- What you worked on last week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
This week (2019-04-11):
- Got my own bridgedb and bridgedb-admin repos. Started reading code and re-assigning tickets to me.
- Inquired about status of ICLab and if the project could help us scan our bridges.
- Wrote a small script that helped us analyze the throughput of a download over time.
- Figured out who runs our default bridges and contacted operators of broken bridges.
+ See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/DefaultBridges
+ Filed #30121 to improve how we manage list of default bridges.
+ Some progress in #30006, which is about monitoring our default bridges.
- Started working on a fix for #26154. Breaks many unit tests -- more thinking required.
- #28655 review (If a bridge supports obfs4, don't give out its other flavors)
- Need to talk to sysrqb and/or dgoulet to learn more about BridgeDB deployment.
This week (04/11):
ahf (gonna be missing at the meeting, but will read backlog):
Last week (2019/4/4):
- Meeting with gaba, cohosh, & phw Monday
- Went over roadmap items in new roadmap docs.
- Lots of tiny network team tasks.
- Continued work on #t/#29206.
This week (2019/4/11):
- Mostly network-team tasks so far. Was off Wednesday.
- Gitlab/LDAP access have been established.
- Continue to hack on #29736 (and transition it off to cohosh too)
- Gaba and I talked at our 1:1 Friday that I'll return to network team tasks only in May.
Last week (April 8):
- Brought phw up to speed about reports
- Figured out where various content came from
- Thought about what to remove and what to keep
- A little more Snowflake and BridgeDB content
This week (April 11):
- Started GetTor content
- Copy editing
- Conditionalized URLs
- Figure out what's left
(I will sort these questions out over email.)
- Need ahf to review (at least certain sections of) the report.
- I think I should include arma and dcf1 in the author list because I took text from tickets they wrote and I think I should include catalyst because they gave me text that I used, but I don't want to do that without consent.
- ON HOLD -> need direction
- private bridge guide for NGOs (hold off until we figure out a strategy for making set-up easy) not sure where this is nor what should heppen next
- reviewed proxy-go deadlock patch in #25688
- participated in discussion about Snowflake monitoring in #29863
- merged goptlib LOG branch (#28940)
- made accounts for phw on bridge and broker (#29985)
- filed a ticket to remove serene from Snowflake bridge admin (#30138)
- have meek-client-torbrowser signal exit by closing child process stdin (#25613)
- review proxy geoip patch (#29734)
- review on further log sanitization (#30125) and recommendations for deployment
- prototyping with AMP cache
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-04-11
- investigated obfs4 blocking (#29279)
- Looked at data from VPS in China and NA probe site
- modified phw's tcpdump scripts and published results
- merged and deployed #21304 and #25688
- more discussion about #29863
- closed #21305 and started looking at #25429 instead
- revised #29734 for geoip data on proxies
- implemented #30125
- community stuff
- discussed with phw my thoughts on the PT integration pipeline
- investigate obfs4 blocking (#29279)
- keep checking current tests
- expand tests for bridge enumeration problem?
- make some progress on websocket protocol
- take a look at windows reproducible build problem (#25483)
- work on client connectivity issues (#25429)
- review of #30125
- ahf: are you still working on snowflake? i'd like to move forward with #29736 (and #29207), since it's blocking work on #29260 and #21315
- phw: I think it would be cool to expand the study for #29279 (see https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29279#comment:16 ). I'm happy to do the leg work with designing and running the study, though you're probably in the best position to handle (2) at the moment. It's probably worth our time at this point to design it carefully.
Also, do we want to have actual people doing probes instead of just our VPS probe site?
week of 4/4 (planned):
- focus on sponsor31 stuff (like control.c refactor) that might be blocking nickm; please let me know if i should reprioritize
- work on #29276 (bridgedb release) if there's time
week of 4/4 (actual):
- mostly sponsor31 stuff like control.c refactor
week of 4/11 (planned):
- more sponsor31 work; maybe also #29976 as prep work for more bootstrap reporting improvements
More information about the tor-project