[tor-project] Proposal for the people page: Pronouns

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat May 19 00:40:47 UTC 2018

> On 19 May 2018, at 09:32, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Matt. My only concern (as the maintainer of that page) is that it doesn't get cluttered. If folks would find pronouns useful, someone leads the effort to get 'em all,

Pronouns are optional, so there's no need to get them all.

If it's easier to do a group update, we can start collecting a list, wait a week, and then do the change.

> and comes up with a tasteful way of displaying them then feel free!
>
> Are there any options folks will want besides: he, her, or they?

Some people use other preferred pronouns.

Here are some examples of other preferred pronouns:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_pronoun#Summary

> If it's a narrow enumeration like that then I wonder if we can do something iconic (with the Twitter and gpg links).

There are no standard icons for pronouns. The male and female symbols ♂ and ♀ are used in medicine. (Using them would be confusing and problematic.) There is no standard symbol for "they".

It really is best if we spell it out:
* they/them/their
* she/her
* he/him/his
* e/em/eir

If that's too long, we could show the common form ("they"), with a tooltip for the other inflections ("they/them/their").