[tor-project] Amazon is killing domain fronting too

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed May 2 03:40:44 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2 May 2018 00:50:23 +0000
Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently fronting was used by malware and CnCs, and that was
> becoming problematic.

Wasn't that why Google ended up killing the original meek instance back
in the day?  I don't particularly find any of this surprising, nor do I
find entities wishing to avoid being abused in that way particularly
outrageous.

I will emphasize (again, since I seem to recall doing so when Google
originally stomped down on meek) that the collateral damage concept
behind meek doesn't need to come from CDNs.

Any entity that is willing to risk network operators going "it's
unfortunate for the users, but too bad, example.com is getting blocked
because it enables Tor" that has sufficient bandwidth can run a client
facing endpoint.

There isn't even particularly a need for the domain to be something
clients contact extremely frequently (which is a property that made CDNs
attractive in the first place), due to use cases involving using domain
fronting as a signaling channel rather than a bulk transport mechanism.

To put this in more succinct terms, why can't I use snowflake/Moat via
services.addons.mozilla.org, aus5.mozilla.org, incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org?

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel