[tor-project] Amazon is killing domain fronting too

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed May 2 00:50:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 12:33:00AM +0000, Nima Fatemi wrote:
> I don't know if people have seen this:
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/enhanced-domain-protections-for-amazon-cloudfront-requests/

Yep, and did you see this post from Moxie [0]?

[0] https://signal.org/blog/looking-back-on-the-front/

> Amazon is killing domain fronting too. We should probably work on a
> plan. Anybody knows anybody at top of the food chain in Amazon? They
> should probably be nudged that they're doing all the dictators and
> authoritarian regimes around the world the biggest favor they could ask
> for (but didn't have to).

Right, and this only leaves Microsoft - but considering the current
trend, that may fall soon, too. How do we convince these large companies
that they are helping real people, and they should help us help them?
Using domain fronting wouldn't be a volation of their terms of service
if they explicitly made it a service they provide.

Apparently fronting was used by malware and CnCs, and that was becoming
problematic.