[tor-project] Tor Browser team meeting notes, 16 July 2018

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Jul 17 20:12:00 UTC 2018

Hi all!

We had another Tor Browser meeting yesterday. The IRC log can be found at

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-07-16-18.05.log.txt

and here come, as usual, the meeting notes from our pad:

Monday July 16, 2018

     - I think the Sandboxing Meeting is scheduled for next Tuesday
15:00 UTC? (GeKo: Yes)
     - We should think about possible sessions we could offer for the
mexico dev meeting open days; we'll have a talk about Tor Browser 8 then
(please volunteer if you want to do the talking part) but I think we are
a big team with lots of things going on and we could contribute more

         - mcs: some ideas: UX changes in Tor Browser 8, a design
overview (aka “How is Tor Browser different from Firefox?”), sandboxing
futures.

          - arthuredelstein: I'd like to talk about browser privacy
testing (For Tor Browser and other browsers with "Tor mode")

     - Tor Browser on Github?

boklm:
    Last week:
        - reviewed #26355 (Make sure only Windows users on Windows7+ are
trying to use Tor Browser based on ESR60)
        - reviewed #26251 (Adapt macOS snowflake compilation to new
toolchain)
        - made patch for #26569 (Redirect pre-8.0a9 alpha users to a
separate update directory)
        - looked with sisbell at list of things to do to integrate Tor
Browser for Android into tor-browser-build and opened some tickets:
#26693, #26695, #26696, #26697
    This week:
        - on vacation

sysrqb:
    Last week:
        Investigated report of proxy-bypass (#21863)
        Investigated Android APK signing key (#26536)
        Discussed and researched some Android localization with Emma
(#26536)
        Helped with BridgeDB things
        Prepared HOPE presentation slides for talking about Tor Browser,
TBA, and Tor on Mobile
        Scheduled Sandboxed Tor Browser meeting on next Tuesday, 24 July
at 15:00 UTC
    This week:
        Helping talk about Tor with high schoolers on Monday
        Talking at HOPE on Friday with other Tor people

tjr:
     - Worked on #26476 with sukbir a bunch. Currently blocked on
needing to increase the file descriptor ulimit inside the container.
Don't know how.

         - I've tried increasing the ulimit for user account and root on
the host; but it did not propagate into container.

    - We know the issue is --gc-sections, we don't know why it happens
to Tor and not Mozilla; we're investigating that.  (It's not the sandbox
or any Tor patches.)

     - Jacek finished his contract:
         - He got --enable-stylo working:
https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/256840/diff/1#index_header
         - He landed most of his patches into -esr60
         - I have a few more to land for him, plus the build job
         - Not done for mingw-clang: --enable-sandbox, x86, debugging pdbs

    - I need to investigate test failures for the x64 build, and then I
can land that in esr60

    - I am getting fuzzyfox reviewed, and then we could experiment with
it maybe

GeKo:
    Last Week:
        -Vacation
    This Week:
        -Deal with my backlog
        -Help with the mobile alpha release as needed
        -Finish investigating Stylo related reproducibility issues on
macOS (#26475)
        -Continue network review (#22176)
        -reminder to do the status: updates at least daily
        -reviews
        -Is there anything anybody needs from me urgently? (igt0: Not
urgent, however I believe #26401 has high priority) (GeKo: Yes, I finish
my comments tomorrow)

pospeselr:
    patch for #26456 (HTTP onion sites inheriting HTTPS certs) could use
a review (GeKo: that's on my list for tomorrow, too)
    Last Week (s):

    - found a potential solution for #26540 (pdfjs FPI violations) and
have a patch up

    little janky, people should definitely take a look at it

    - needs to be tweaked for multi-process (ie browser.tabs.autostart =
true)

    - medical stuff

    - took care of a bunch of moving related bs

    This Week:

    - partial vacation in Portland this week, working mornings in cafes

    - fixup #26540 patch

    - #25555 looks like interesting, so I'll grab that one (reimpleent
Optimisitc SOCKS feature)

    Next Week:

    - moving apartments (hopefully) on the 24th, I'm sure there will be
tons of problems to deal with/people to yell at but we'll see

igt0:
        Last Week:

            - Took a look in the tor browser settings: #26574

            - Fixed a typo in the mobile addon handler: #26704

            - Tested torbutton functionalities on mobile: domain
isolator, dragDropFilter, content-policy

            - meeting about TBA release

        This week:

            - More preparation for TBA release

arthuredelstein:
   Last Week:

            - Patches for:

    #26590 (SVG isn't blocked in Safest security setting with 8.0a9)

    #26603 (remove obsolete http pipelining prefs)

    #26353 (speculative connect violating FPI)

    #26237 (fix ordering of toolbar)

    - Investigated:

    #18598 (disabled WebSpeech by default)

    #16339 (ensure ImageCapture API is disabled)

    - Proposed #26765 (Add Tor Browser indicator where Firefox PB
indicator is)

    - Worked on my HTTP2 patch #14592, in progress

      This week:

    - Keep working on #14952

    - More fingerprinting / ff60esr patches

      Following week:

    - I will be on vacation week July 23 - 27.

    Am I the only one who finds this sandstorm document very hard to
use? Wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if we could switch to an
etherpad. (GeKo: There are more folks that seem to apply workarounds.
Let's resume this discussion once everyone was able to think about it)

sisbell:

    Last Week:

       Got android and build dependencies in build container for RBM build

       Added stretch for containers

    This Week:

       Get Android license acceptance working in build

       Get mach build commands working on container build

sukhe:

    Last Week:

    -  I am still working on #26476 (crash on Windows) with tjr and
#12968 (HEASLR). Picked up #26251 (Snowflake) again.

    - Since these all are blocking currently, is there anything else I
can focus on in the meantime? (GeKo: Yes, #25485 would be helpful)

    This Week:

    - Continue the above and find something else to work on based on
"Last Week"

isabela:
    - request (about TBA release)

Georg