[tor-project] November 2018 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Dec 7 20:33:00 UTC 2018

Hi Tor people!

November has passed and here comes an update on what happened in the Tor
Browser world during this time.

November was one of the rare months where no Tor Browser releases got
out. We spent most of our time on getting the next major alpha release
for Tor Browser on Android into shape. Highlights are including Orbot
into Tor Browser directly[1], which makes installing a separate app
unnecessary, and the full integration of the mobile build process into
tor-browser-build[2], allowing us to finally tackle remaining
reproducibility issues[3]. Additionally, we have worked on a bunch of UX
improvements for mobile, e.g. own about:tor page[4] and .onion
indicators in the URL bar, similar to those we already see on desktop
platforms[5].

Apart from working on our mobile-only tasks we managed to land fixes for
two long-term first-party isolation bugs: saving images etc. via the
context menu is now isolated to the URL bar domain[6] as is loading PDF
documents that issue range requests[7].

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in November is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201811` keyword in our bug tracker.[8]

For December we plan to work on further mobile improvements, including
better localization support[9] and fixups to issues that come up after
our alpha relases[10]. We might finally tackle transitioning Orfox users
to Tor Browser for Android as well.[11] Furthermore, we hope to make
significant progress in implementing our security control redesign[12]
and to consolidate our testing and QA efforts[13].

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201812` keyword in our bug tracker.[14]

Georg

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28051
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26693
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25164
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27111
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26690
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22343
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26540
[8]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201811
[9] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26782
[10] For an important first one, see:
[11] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27399
[12] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25658
[13] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27105
[14]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201812&order=priority