[tor-project] July 2018 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Aug 1 12:57:00 UTC 2018

Hi!

This July was one of the few months without any Tor Browser release. We
therefore spent all our efforts into fixing bugs in our first desktop
alpha based on Firefox 60 ESR and getting it towards a stable shape.
Additionally, we focused on preparing our first alpha for Tor Browser on
Mobile.

For the desktop we continued with our feature[1] and network code[2]
review of the changes introduced with the switch to Firefox 60 ESR.
Moreover, we focused on getting the onboarding designed and implemented
together with our new about:tor page[3] and updated icons[4]. We are
excited to test those improvements in the upcoming alpha and adjust them
according to user feedback!

On Mobile we mostly dealt with our blockers for the upcoming alpha
release: rebasing patches[5], possible proxy bypass bugs[6], and user
onboarding[7]. We finished the first item and made significant progress
on the latter two which makes us optimistic that we get out the first
alpha this month, finally.

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in July is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201807` keyword in our bug tracker.[8]

For August, as indicated above, we plan to get new alpha releases out,
both for mobile and desktop. This will likely happen in the week of
August 13. Preparations for that will occupy our focus for the coming
two weeks. Thereafter we plan to deal with the fallout while still
focusing on the remaining review work for Tor Browser desktop and
integrating the mobile Tor Browser build into our reproducible builds
environment.[9]

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201808` keyword in our bug tracker.[10]

Georg

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22074
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22176
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25695
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26655
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26401
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21863
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25696
[8]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201807
[9] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26693
[10]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201808&order=priority