[tor-project] Cease and Desist: Copyright Infringement.

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Thu Oct 12 11:50:28 UTC 2017

On 10/11/2017 07:16 PM, Yawning Angel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:01:01 -0400
> Nathan Freitas <nathan at freitas.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Mr. Yawning Angel,
>>
>> Greetings and salutations. Based on your previous communication from
>> the 7th of September, 2017, I have been preparing an updated release
>> of Orbot that includes the appropriate notices. I will also ensure all
>> relevant documentation on accompanying app store pages, websites,
>> source code readme's, and so on, are also updated to include proper
>> attribution.
>>
>> I appreciate your need to bring all uses of Obfs4proxy into
>> compliance, and expect for this to be resolved shortly.
> I appreciate your prompt response in this matter.
>
> For the record, I'm not trying to single out Orbot, and I hate having
> to send strongly worded letters.  However there are other people that
> are using the code in an infringing manner in a more commercial matters
> that I also wish to get into compliance, and I wish to take a
> consistent unified approach to enforcement.
I explained this exact phenomenon to everyone at the Tor dev meeting
dinner who expressed concern about this message. I also mentioned that
you had sent a friendly private message to me one month ago, indicating
that your need to take a more strict stance on compliance.

I expect to have at least a compliant beta of the new Orbot up today.

>> With all due regards,
>>
>>     Mr. Nathanial Xavier Freitas
> Regards,

+n