[tor-project] Notes from 31 July Network Team Meeting
nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jul 31 23:59:58 UTC 2017
We had another network team meeting today. The log is at
Notes from the pad are below.
Network team pad, for 31 July Meeting (or 1 August, for those in UTC+5 or later)
Notes from last week's meeting:
(Did we do what we had planned?)
Announcements and reminders:
* Montréal hackfest pad is at
Things we should talk about:
* Has there been progress on review-group-21 ?
* I saw some coverity issues last week but no coverity master. Did
they get handled?
* We should assign roles for August:
* Isa wonders if we should pursue gitonion because of it not
working for folks who are using TB at high security level
* What is blocking 0.3.1.x-stable?
Tasks for after the meeting:
* nickm: fix tor_parse_long regression
* everyone: take roles for august
* everyone: answer on oniongit email thread!
teor (not online):
* Worked with Nick on a spec and draft C code for PrivCount
blinding in production tor
* Made crypto_rand_double() randomise all the mantissa bits,
and remove a slight bias #23061
* Deploy experimental PrivCount for Single Onion Service counts
* Start work on a circuit sampling feature for experimental
PrivCount, because python can be slow
* More PrivCount testing
* Maybe re-deploy some additional experimental PrivCount features
* Maybe get cell crypto working in endosome
* Worked with Teor on getting the privcount blinding and
tabulation system into Tor. This simplifies privcount a lot because
events no longer need to get marshalled and unmarshalled, and makes
Tor expose much less information that it does now (or did, under
previous privcount branch)
* Lots of code review on prop224 stuff.
* Misc review and fixes
* Merge workaround for some coverity madness; get rewarded
with 14 coverity issues; resolve 10 of them.
* Delayed 0.3.1.x-stable by a month.
* More work on privcount: get spec draft finished with Teor;
share with other privcount people and with sponsor Q folks.
* Try to finish review on 20657 (prop224 service-side stuff)
* Release an 0.3.1.x-alpha
* Other hacking TBD
* Service implementation under review in #20657.
* Client implementation++ in #17242. I've actually almost exclusively only
worked on that.
* Prop224 upstream bug opened: #23056
* Finalizing and hopefully putting #17242 in review for upstream.
* Assisting asn as needed on nickm's review of #20657.
* Refactoring and getting ready for code review for protover rust
* Thinking abuot creating a "intro to rust" coding exercise for the rust hackday
- Went over Catalyst + Nick's control port proposal and looked into
the control port protocol.
- Created a wiki page for network team sponsor 8 planning/notes:
- Wrapped my head around the Android emulator, but I doubt we will
be able to use that for much metrics collections. The android-x86
project might be more relevant here.
- Got a test apk to run where I could test Android's "Doze"
- Reviewed #23030, #22883, #22927, #22915, and #20247
- Got a bit excited about asn+dgoulet's prop224 work and got a
service running with an ircd to test it out.
- Fix remaining issues that is missing for Sponsor 4 and 0.3.1.
- Write blog post about compression + consensus diff.
- Look into Android-x86 for a "fast" non-device environment.
- Start collecting "Doze" metrics from Orbot to see how we do.
- (ahf, please document hwo to do the above stuff as you
go along, so that other folks can try it too? -nickm)
- Traveling to SHA2017 at the end of the week.
- Reviewed and tested more #20657 code.
- Started fixing up prop224 service-side #20657 based on Nick's
review (about halfway there)
- Started reviewing and testing David's client-side #17242 branch.
- Some hackerone triaging.
- Finish up fixing #20657 branch.
- Review and test the client-side branch.
- Fix more prop224 bugs
- Write some unittests for client-side prop224.
- Finished tor patches for pinning layer2 and layer3 guards (#13837)
- Started work on stem-based prop247 prototype/performance simulator
- Finish prop247 prototype; Start onionperf testing
Last 2 weeks (2017-W29, 2017-W30):
- moved house
- looked into error reporting in test suite in #22636
- started catching up on email and Trac
- Tor launcher automation meeting
This week (2017-W31):
- await arrival of household furniture, etc.
- write up some notes to follow up on Tor launcher stuff
- file ticket for test suite error reporting issues i noticed
in #22636 and write up some of my observations about them
- resume attempting to get chutney to do something useful to
- reviewed #22885
- revised my patch for showing info about cert expirations
#17639 and wrote a test for it
- revised travis configs and got them merged #22636
- fixed a whole lot of brokenness resulting from upgrading the
BridgeDB machine to Debian 9 (#22998 #23032 #23033 #23034)
- revising the new captcha server for moat #15967
- working on standardisation and finishing up the crypto
needed for hyphae #22775
- updating #16562 with notes from meeting with trevor and
reading the generalised edDSA specs/conversations
- finished deliverables report for Sue
- worked with Erin on onboarding wiki page (thanks for the
- submitted modularization proposal and got contract for
- had meeting about tor launcher new design - trying to make
sure all teams/people related to it, coordinates between themselves
for networkers, TB team will give a wish list for part of the
experience that they have to build, so you can review and tell what is
possible what is not possible)
- july report for sponsor4
- prep work for sponsor8
- prep work for trac/git meeting (which got moved to August7!)
- reminder about vacation time (august 7 till 14 - work on 15
- vacation again from august 16 till 21)
More information about the tor-project