[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 24 July 2017
nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jul 24 17:37:30 UTC 2017
Hi! Below's the pad from this week's meeting.
The meeting transcript is available at
Network team pad, for 24 July Meeting (or 25 July, for those in UTC+5 or later)
Notes from last week's meeting:
(Did we do what we had planned?)
Announcements and reminders:
* Various network team hckfests are on 9th to 16th October. Nickm
is confused about when.
- we should make a pad for the schedule isis wrote, with updates (komlo)
* I've added the August calendar for the Team Rotation -dgoulet
* Not much progress on review-group-21 :/
Things we should talk about:
Tasks for after the meeting:
teor (not online):
* Took a few days leave, because ugh, winter, again
* Wrote some more tor circuit code for endosome, found some
* Did a code review on some of Rob's PrivCount code
* Booked Montreal travel and arranged hackfests and meetings
* Worked out when the grant money for my current job will run out
* Implement one final PrivCount feature before deployment
* Test PrivCount before deployment
* Deploy and Run PrivCount Single Onion Service counts
* Maybe get cell crypto working in endosome
(I believe this is the week that Taylor is moving. Let's all wish
them an easy relocation! -nickm)
- Wrote patch for #22735. Found and fixed some bad bugs on #20657 while
writing this patch.
- Wrote code and tests for #22940.
- Continued review and testing of #20657. Found some more issues,
particularly regarding the overlap mode and descriptor rotation logic.
- Reviewed #22895 and #22979.
- Did some hackerone bug triaging since we publicly launched our bug bounty
- Mod HS circuitmap to be used by client side prop224 for RP circs.
- Continue reviewing and testing of service-side #20657. Find and fix more
bugs, and hopefully move it towards upstream merge.
- Start reviewing David's client-side code.
- We are approaching prop224 merge time, so do any other prop224 action
items that must happen.
- PETS. Had good convesations about
. A couple of interesting attack papers
. anti-fingerprinting research
. traffic padding
. The research safety board
. getting large patches/add-ons deployed
. Review, merge, bugfix. :(
. Document, specify :(
. Work on guard stuff, measurement, trace stuff. (dgoulet:
lttng advice? Also I should coordinate with teor)
. Enter sadly delayed sponsor8 items from meeting with ahf
onto bugtracker so I can't forget
ahf (might be missing the start of the meeting):
- Up and running with Android development environment for
Orbot + Core Tor.
- Up and running with Android power measurement via their
dodgy Python scripts (on a nexus 5x).
- Met with a friend in Copenhagen to get a fast walkthrough of
the Android environment.
- Did a talk on Tor at TheCamp.dk.
- Document Sponsor 8 development environment with Android on trac wiki.
- Figure out how we can collect measurement on Android about
battery/CPU usage where we have "fast" test-to-result times.
- Create tickets for sponsor8.
- Look into our wake-ups on an Android device.
- Figure out how much we can measure CPU wake-ups/network via the
Things I could need help with:
- Find Nick + Catalyst's pad/log about control port enhancements (URL?)
- Need to figure out what functions in core tor that does network
activity on timers.
- Massive amount of prop224. Addressing asn's review of #20657
- Mostly coding #17242.
- Prop224 is now closer to reality where we had our first client<->service
connection yesterday ;). The whole chain has been glued together and is
- Finalize #17242 (client code) so we can test the whole stack more
- Need to make a branch that contains it all for arma so he can showcase
it at our *last* final sponsor R meeting and then two days later to
- Basically, expect me to only focus on prop224 so we can reach our
deadline goal and start merging more and more upstream.
komlo (not online):
- I am starting my new job this week (!!), so will pick up more
tor work next week
pastly (also attending meeting in #tor-project for people who provide support):
- Measuring latency in Tor seems to be going well. Reimplemented
Ting all last week.
- Now that Rob is back from PETS, will discuss how to update KIST tickets.
- Met with Matt Wright, Marc Juarez, Moshen Imani, Nick, Roger
- Discussed potential issues with flow control and other planned
- Worked with Matt on outline of stuff for Sponsor2 report. (He
will be submitting it.)
- Catch up on mail and other things since PETS
- Flesh out details for Sponsor2 report; send them to Matt
- Work on torrc options for Prop247 prototype (#13837)
- Help with Tor Browser interview process
- Finished the modularization proposal - submitting as we meet
(today, cuz we were waiting to hear back from Laura on a question
related to the submission form)
- NSF reports! help organize that for arma (Mike already
created a plan for sponsor2 one while at PETS)
- We got sponsor8 contract!! I will get you more info as we
figure out if we want our start date to be August 1st or later
- July is ending and I wonder if we are closing the
deliverable for sponsor 4
- I sent an email to try to create a backup person plan for
vacation season - sent to tor-internal.
- sending out emails for internship and getting things set up for them
- discussions about differences in signatures #16562
- upgraded bridgedb server to Debian 9 and recalibrated the CI #22998
- did some thinking about potential security implications of
not having random payloads in drop cells #22948
- revised tor.git travis CI configs #22636
- looked into dependency libraries for intern project
- revise captcha server for moat according to review/specs #15967
- get the bridge bandwidth scanner project rolling
More information about the tor-project