[tor-project] oniongit update

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Jul 31 17:16:47 UTC 2017

On 31 Jul (19:28:59), teor wrote:

> > On 31 Jul 2017, at 10:48, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Please let me know if you'd like to have an account on oniongit or if
> >> you'd like to report any problems that you have found.
> >
> > A cypherpunks just complained that oniongit.eu requires JavaScript:
> >
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22542#comment:15
> >
> > I tested this on gitlab.com (I don't have an oniongit account), and it
> > is impossible to use GitLab without JavaScript on. (I can log in, but
> > 2FA doesn't work, and neither does the issue tracker.)
>
> A follow-up:
>
> This likely makes it impossible for search engines to index our bug
> tracker.

Gitlab bugs work without JS, you just can't really interact with them. Here is
an example from Riseup Gitlab that I found through Google which is indexing
the content.

https://0xacab.org/riseup/0xacab/issues/5

I do share the concern that anyone without JS can't comment or open a ticket
with Gitlab... We'll suffer through that for all possible solutions we want
:S...

I personally do enable JS on trac.tpo voluntarily so I'm "fine" with it but
that doesn't really matter for the rest reporting bugs :S... I recall also
someone reviewing some HS code and wasn't able to use Gitlab because
javascript and wasn't super pleased but understood the need for the review
tool. The review code tool, people will have to suffer through it (including
us) with javascript but I'm less easy with "reporting a bug requires JS" ...

This is maybe something we could start talking with Gitlab people on if they
could make it that someone can open and comment on a ticket without js to the
cost of losing some fancy functionnality such has "tagging with 4k emojis".
Although, I kind of have little hope there...

Cheers!
David