[tor-project] oniongit update

Silvia [Hiro] hiro at torproject.org
Wed Jul 19 17:19:34 UTC 2017

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to send a quick update regarding oniongit and gitlab in
general.

So a main issue when teams started testing oniongit was the possibility
to automatically sync repos on oniongit w/ repos on torgit.

The idea is always that torgit is pulled by oniongit. This way oniongit
doesn't write to our git repositories, but we can run code reviews with
updated branches.

There are mainly two ways how this can be achieved. The first
possibility is that torgit push to oniongit whenever master is updated
(with a post-receive hook maybe).

The other possibility is that a pipeline (gitlab CI feature) is set up
on oniongit to pull periodically from torgit and update the master branch.

Note that if you wanted the pipeline could also run a set of tests on
the branch since this is basically a docker runner that does this on a
separated server.

I am in the process of documenting how this can be done. In the meantime
please let me know if you'd like me to set it up for you.

Another update that you might find interesting is the possibility to set
up confidential issues (although some have rightly said that they do not
feel comfortable having a web up handling confidential bugs).

[Please see
https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/issues/confidential_issues.html]

An issue that was also raised since the beginning regarding Trac vs
Gitlab is the possibility to have components vs keywords vs labels. In
gitlab everything is done w/ labels, so keep that in mind if you are
thinking to test issues tracking in oniongit.

[More on: https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/labels.html]

[More on gitlab flow features here:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/workflow/README.html]

Please let me know if you'd like to have an account on oniongit or if
you'd like to report any problems that you have found.

Talk soon,
-hiro