[tor-project] Diversifying Bandwidth Measurement

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:34:55 UTC 2017

Hi Rob and bandwidth authority operators,

I've just been contacted by an Exit operator whose Exits have all seen a
60% drop in traffic over the last few weeks.

This drop has been caused by a drop in bandwidth authority measurements,
which seems to affect Exit connections that transit to
bwauth.torproject.org (cymru) through Cogent.

For example, from Australia, I get about 3 MB/s to
bwauth.torproject.org [0]. A relay operator in France gets 500 KB/s.

This affects at least Online S.a.ss, Feralhosting, and trabia.
Do we want Exit traffic concentrating in the US?
(It seems all the affected networks are UK/EU.)

Is there any way that we can fix this?
It also has a social impact: there are a number of disappointed
exit operators out there.

Can someone run another bwauth HTTPS download server on another
(non-North American?) network?
The required files are listed here[1].

If they did, would the bandwidth authority operators apply a patch to
use it?

Or could it go on 38.229.70.2 ?
(That's the alternate bwauth address in the source code[2], but it's
down.)

[0]: https://bwauth.torproject.org/bwauth.torproject.org/64M
[1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/aggregate.py#n323
[2]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/bwauthority_child.py#n51