[tor-project] November 2017 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Dec 6 12:06:00 UTC 2017

Hi everyone!

November was an exciting month. The Tor Browser team made four releases:
Tor Browser 7.0.9[1], 7.0.10[2], 7.5a7[3], and 7.5a8[4].

Tor Browser 7.0.9 and 7.5a7 fixed a critical vulnerability reported to
us by Filippo Cavallarin potentially affecting Tor Browser users on
macOS and Linux. Thanks again for notifying us and coordinating the
disclosure!

Tor Browser 7.0.10 and 7.5a8 picked up Firefox security fixes and new
Tor versions. The alpha release was the first that contained 64bit
Windows bundles[5] and an improved Tor Launcher user interface[6][7].

Besides release related work we tried to finish our remaining Sponsor4
items this month. We succeeded with the excecption of our custom
Panopticlick deployment (FPCentral)[8][9] and our improvements for
fetching and using non-default bridges (done via moat)[10]. Working on
those two remaining deliverables will be top priority over the coming weeks.

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in November is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201711` keyword in our bug tracker.[11]

Apart from finishing the two remaining Sponsor4 tasks we plan to prepare
this month the remaining tickets for our next major stable release, Tor
Browser 7.5, which is due January 23, 2018. And we hope we can spend
some time on tackling remaining regressions from our 7.0 release.

Finally, the mobile work will get up to speed which is internally
tracked under Sponsor8. We'll start with merging the Orfox patches into
our repository[12] and making first investigations about the state of
the proxy safety on mobile[13].

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201712` keyword in our bug tracker.[14]

For those interested in Tor Browser work planned in the longer term
(which means the coming months) we've created a roadmap taking
dependencies of other teams into account.[15] This should give everyone
a fair understanding of where we are heading toward. Feedback is welcome!

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-709-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-7010-released
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-75a7-released
[4] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-75a8-released
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20636
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23261
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23262
[8] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6119
[9] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23738
[10] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23136
[11]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201711
[12] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19675
[13] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21863
[14]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201712&order=priority
[15]
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/roevbMxlBi5rxSAh57iRjy8w1MB2HZArEmM2JekbqPM