[tor-project] UX team report for November 2017!

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Wed Dec 6 02:09:11 UTC 2017

Hello Tor!

Here is some updates from the UX team for the month of November.

First of all! We now have Antonela as part of our team working on Design
o/ Hiro is also working with us on some projects like the website
redesign. And I am now leading the UX team :) (besides project managing
stuff as I always do).

We reviewed and gave feedback to the Metrics team new 'timeline of
events' project (which is pretty cool). Our feedback can be found as
comments at the 24260 ticket. [1]

We are also in touch with OONI to review their revamp of mobile experience.

And we helped the Tor Browser team by doing QA on the Tor Launcher new
UI project, you can see the bugs we found and other feedback under
24371. [2]

Another big effort we worked on during November is the Website Redesign
project!

So, for those catching up just now with it, the website redesign [3] is
a big project that aims to not only redesign 'torproject.org' but create
3 other portals to better organize the content that is now hosted at
'torproject.org'. Those other 3 portals are: community.torproject.org,
dev.torproject.org and support.torproject.org

Before November we had mocks for all of these sites done and their
cotent organized as well. After montreal we decided to build the support
site first, so we started to work on it.

Each project follows the same list of steps to get it done:

0) content architecture - map current content related to the portal and
organize it
1) whiteboard draw organization of the content into pages
2) wireframe these pages
3) create design for these pages [these include design reviews till we
are happy with what we have]
4) start organizing content for the pages (with the design already done
we will be working with that)
5) update high definition mockups with real content
6) guerrilla user testing #1
7) start coding the pages
8) once content is finished we upload them on transifex for translation
to start
9) Once coding is done we can start QA by language (as translations gets
complete)

Right now we are working on 4 and 5 of those steps for support.tpo, but
we have done 0-2 for all portals.

If you would like to check out the design for support you can find it
under the main ticket tracking all the work to build that site 24129. [4]

Another work we are doing that is part of this big effort is the
creation of 'styleguide at torproject.org'. If you were at the Seattle dev
meeting (Q4 2016) you might remember that we were working on a design
style guideline for Tor Project [5]

What we did was to apply that to some components of 'bootstrap' and have
a fork version of it where people can easily build sites using the
css/templates from styleguide.torproject.org

We are still working on that in December but should be done soon. This
work will definetly speed up the process of building sites within the
Tor Project ecosystem.

But a site is not only done with 'frontend' or better saying html and
css hehe We still had to decide what framework to use to build those.

So that was another work we did in November, based on the requirements
we had we decided to test a framework called Lektor 24275 [6], we also
got stakeholders who will be editing the site to test it and everyone
liked it. So this will be the framework we will use.

If you have any questions about any of the projects the UX team is
working please reach out to us! If you would like our help with any
project you are working on, reach too!

Our roadmap [7] is public and you can check what we have planed for
December in there o/

Cheers,
isabela

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24260