[tor-project] Cross-team OONI and Tor Browser project: default bridge checking

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Nov 29 23:21:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:00:49AM +0000, Arturo Filastò wrote:
> On 25/11/2016 09:10 +0000, Georg Koppen wrote:
>
> > That's quite a large list. What the Tor Browser team needs are the
> > bridges specified in
> >
> > https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/tree/Bundle-Data/PTConfigs/bridge_prefs.js
> >
> > (which is subject to change). It seems your list is missing items from it.
>
> It seems like we are just missing from that list the obfs3 and fte
> bridges. Is it useful to also be testing those?

Yes, it's a good idea. For our experiment so far, we weren't really
interested in protocols that could be dynamically active-probed; we
included some of the the fte and obfs3 bridges just as known-blocked
controls. But of course for other purposes you'll want to have the full
list.

Apart from the missing fte and obfs3 bridges, the list Arturo has is a
superset of bridge_prefs.js. In addition to the currently used
addresses, it has some that were used in the past, or are waiting to be
used in the future.