[tor-project] meek blocked in China since 2016-10-19 (or not)

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue Nov 15 10:25:13 UTC 2016

> On Nov 15, 2016, at 02:53, David Fifield <david at bamsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 02:51:22PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
>> https://bugs.torproject.org/20495
>>
>> It looks like meek has been blocked in China since about 2016-10-19.
>> (See the red line in the attached graph.)
>>
>> I didn't get any reports or anything; I just happened to check the
>> graph.
>>
>> I tried but have not yet been able to reproduce any blocking by making
>> HTTPS requests from a measurement location in China.
>
> Some time has passed and this no longer looks like a block by China to
> me. For one thing, there was a simultaneous drop in many countries, not
> only China:
>
> https://bugs.torproject.org/20495#comment:5
>
> And on November 10, there was a simultaneous increase to previous
> levels:
>
> https://bugs.torproject.org/20495#comment:7

For what it’s worth it seems like OONI data also confirms that the domains used by meek for cloudfronting don’t appear to be blocked
in China on 2016-11-07:

http://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/measurement/20161107T012146Z_AS56047_LeHuo1sBo1SsU4TOWejnKhS6WeBqGRtL9PKsnErEODX5F7RAty?input=%5Bu%27ajax.aspnetcdn.com%27,%20u%27az668014.vo.msecnd.net%27%5D

http://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/measurement/20161107T012146Z_AS56047_LeHuo1sBo1SsU4TOWejnKhS6WeBqGRtL9PKsnErEODX5F7RAty?input=%5Bu%27a0.awsstatic.com%27,%20u%27d2zfqthxsdq309.cloudfront.net%27%5D

Unfortunately we don’t have data from the 2016-10-19 period.

~ Arturo