[tor-project] meek blocked in China since 2016-10-19 (or not)

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Nov 15 01:53:50 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 02:51:22PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
> https://bugs.torproject.org/20495
>
> It looks like meek has been blocked in China since about 2016-10-19.
> (See the red line in the attached graph.)
>
> I didn't get any reports or anything; I just happened to check the
> graph.
>
> I tried but have not yet been able to reproduce any blocking by making
> HTTPS requests from a measurement location in China.

Some time has passed and this no longer looks like a block by China to
me. For one thing, there was a simultaneous drop in many countries, not
only China:

https://bugs.torproject.org/20495#comment:5

And on November 10, there was a simultaneous increase to previous
levels:

https://bugs.torproject.org/20495#comment:7

I still don't know what might have happened, but it doesn't seem like a
censorship block.