[tor-project] Launching Ethics Guidelines

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri May 13 08:21:51 UTC 2016

On 05/13/2016 07:53 AM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> As far as we know, the other Tor2Web sites do not log client connections.
> Compromising on storing and selling user data so you can obtain some money for
> operating the website goes against users' and our expectations of Tor2web, and
> Tor's brand. Shutting down your Tor2web sites is the responsible decision if
> you can't find another way for funding it.

I do not have the time and energy to really contribute to this thread
right now, but some data points: At least for onion.to, that is right:
We do not collect logs. We host it at two locations; the total costs of
running it are less than 30€ per month, which we pay from our own
pockets. Which is totally fine. Adding third party trackers or
advertising is out of the question. If I did not have a way to sustain
it (which, again, is really cheap) I would simply shut it down. Virgil,
if you need 30€/month to operate them and it would buy us an ethical and
privacy-friendly service, I'm happy to pay you. Mentioning costs here
seem to be simply an excuse. You didn't even ask or tried to raise it in
donations.

As far as I know, the other tor2web gateways (tor2web.org, blutmagie
etc) do not log either.

Also, there seems to be some (deliberate?) commingling between running a
tor2web gateway and putting the discovered sites into a sitemap (which
we also don't; we do allow search engine indexing of the individual
sites though), and actively harvesting onions at HSDirs. There is
clearly a difference, it is not the same thing.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/