[tor-project] Launching Ethics Guidelines

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Wed May 11 08:15:25 UTC 2016

Here's the line about unacceptability of crawling .onion:

"For example, it is not acceptable to run an HSDir, harvest onion
addresses, and do a Web crawl of those onion services."

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2015SummerDevMeeting/ResearchEthicsNotes

So, this can indeed be an official policy.  But it was the first I had
heard of it.  And currently at least 3-4 tor2web nodes in
good-standing explicitly permit crawling of .onion .

Teor: Apologies for being dumb, but can you explain why it's bad for
tor2web-nodes to connect to single-onion services?  Both Tor2web and
Single-onion say IN BIG BOLD LETTERS that using these remove your
anonymity.  Given that these are intentionally meant to be "expert
features" for people who know what they are doing, I don't immediately
see a concern sufficiently large that it merits special handling.  Can
you enlighten me?

-V