[tor-project] Onion sites vs onion services vs hidden services

Alison Macrina alison at libraryfreedomproject.org
Wed May 4 01:30:13 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Colin (phoul) and I started working on the support team docs a few weeks
ago, and it brought to our attention just how much onion sites/onion
services/hidden services are still being used interchangeably. Since
this is confusing, we checked in with folks about which one is
preferred, and onion sites seems to be the clear favorite. However,
internally and on Twitter, I still see us using onion services (and
worse, hidden services).

So, I want to propose that we choose onion sites or onion services once
and for all (I'm in favor of the former because most users have no idea
what is meant by "services"; it sounds too vague). Then, whenever we see
somewhere on torproject.org or any of our documentation or whatever that
still reads hidden services or onion services, that we kill it with fire.

Thanks for reading,

Alison
--
Alison Macrina