[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Sat Jul 30 18:09:10 UTC 2016

ilv at torproject.org:
> The Tor Project is frequently associated to a set of concepts which
> includes privacy, freedom of speech and anonymity. IMO the latter is
> as important as the others (and actually when you go to Tor Project's
> website it says: "Tor Project: Anonymity Online"), but I didn't have
> that feeling when I read the contract. In other words, I have the
> impression that the concept of anonymity has been put aside. Is this
> the case, or I'm just overthinking the way it was written?

The very first point of the social contract explicitely mention
“anonymity and privacy technologies”:

> > 1. We advance human rights by creating and deploying usable
> > anonymity and privacy technologies
> >
> > We believe that privacy, the free exchange of ideas, and access to
> > information are essential to free societies. Through our community
> > standards and the code we write, we provide tools that help all
> > people protect and advance these rights.

This one comes first because it more or less restates Tor mission
statement. I'm left to wonder how you felt we put the concept of
anonymity aside. :)

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>