[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Sat Jul 30 16:55:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 10:17 PM,  <ilv at torproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Alison and all the people who put effort into this. It looks very solid.
>
> The Tor Project is frequently associated to a set of concepts which includes privacy, freedom of speech and anonymity. IMO the latter is as important as the others (and actually when you go to Tor Project's website
> it says: "Tor Project: Anonymity Online"), but I didn't have that feeling when I read the contract. In other words, I have the impression that the concept of anonymity has been put aside. Is this the case, or I'm just
> overthinking the way it was written?
>

> Kind regards.

No backing off from anonymity here.  This document is meant to
supplement and not replace our mission statement.

(Said mission statement, adopted last year, being "To advance human
rights and freedoms by creating and deploying free and open anonymity
and privacy technologies, supporting their unrestricted availability
and use, and furthering their scientific and popular understanding.")

--
Nick