[tor-project] Help curate December blog comments during donations drive

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Dec 4 11:26:39 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

If you haven't noticed our 30-posts-in-30-days December blog
donation drive extravaganza, check out
https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/heart-internet-freedom

All these blog posts are generating a lot of attention, including many
more users interacting with us via the blog comments. That's great!
But we need your help keeping up -- making sure the questions there have
useful answers, and the comments there have thoughtful responses.

There are three especially useful ways you (yes you, please please please)
can help:

A) Look through each of the recent blog posts periodically, and find
things that you can answer or things that you can be helpful on. Don't
be shy! The more variety of Tor people we have the smoother everything
will go.

B) Notice useful comments/questions that need particular expertise,
and bring them to the attention of the team that can answer them. A
great example is
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-02810-released#comment-223817
where it looks like maybe Tor Browser is using an OpenSSL version that
is about to go unsupported, and if so we should open a ticket about that.
Maybe each team should designate a point person for questions related
to their topic? Blog comments move more in reddit-time or twitter-time,
so batching the answers once a week won't be as good as we can be.

C) Go through and approve non-spam comments so they go live on the blog
(and delete the spam ones). Our current blog system is old and klunky, and
we've opted not to tie in third-party spy sites for distinguishing spam,
but the tradeoff is that we handle comment approval manually for now.
The glorious future will bring us a newer Drupal with more ways to
streamline comments, but we're not there quite yet.

If you don't have a blog account, and you need one, let me know and I'll
hook you up.

Special thanks to everybody who has been helping out so far!

--Roger