[tor-project] Proposal: rotate default bridge ports each release

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Wed Aug 31 17:01:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 01:57:45PM +0200, Tor Dev wrote:
> I can apply this on my bridge. My own bridge isn’t included in the
> default TBB, so does it make sense to open more ports? What would be
> the correct way to distribute the newly opened ports to the Bride
> Authorities?

I'm afraid this only makes sense for the TBB default bridges. For the
ordinary bridges that go to the bridge authority, forwarding ports with
iptables won't work because, as you correctly assume, the bridge
authority won't know about the newly opened ports.

One thing you could do, if you suspect your bridge has been blocked, is
change the actual listening port that tor knows about; i.e., with
ServerTransportListenAddr. Then, you should additionally forward the
previous port to the new port, so that anyone who knew of your bridge on
the old port will continue to be able to use it.

Another option is to run a separate tor process on a different port:
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#multiple_tor_processes