[tor-project] Plan to retire Globe

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Mon Apr 25 13:05:32 UTC 2016

isis:
> Tim Wilson-Brown - teor transcribed 1.8K bytes:
> > Can we redirect globe.torproject.org to atlas.torproject.org?
> > Are their search syntaxes similar enough that we can redirect fingerprint searches from Globe to Atlas?
> > (Are there any other systems that automatically generate Globe links that we'll have to update?)
>
> We could probably do this without so much effort, yes.  For fingerprints the
> redirect would be from e.g.:
>
> https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/A10C4F666D27364036B562823E5830BC448E046A to
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/A10C4F666D27364036B562823E5830BC448E046A
>
> For searches it would be:
>
> https://globe.torproject.org/#/search/query=noether to
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/noether
>
> However this means we either leave the Globe machine up and configure its
> Apache to do that, or we change the DNS for globe.torproject.org to point to
> the Atlas machine and tell Atlas' Apache instance to do that.

As far as I understand web technologies, the anchor is not sent to the
HTTP server. So the rewriting can only be done via JavaScript and not
through Apache.

If globe.torproject.org is kept as a separate virtual host, the
rewriting code can be sent only to people visiting asking for
globe.torproject.org. As this requires no change to Atlas' code, this
solution feels cleaner to me.

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>