[tor-project] Plan to retire Globe

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Mon Apr 25 12:22:04 UTC 2016

On 23 Apr (17:37:03), Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> as the subject says, I suggest that we retire Globe (currently
> available at https://globe.torproject.org/).
>
> The main reason is that Globe is serving a similar purpose as Atlas
> (available at https://atlas.torproject.org/), which it was forked from
> several years ago.  Neither Atlas nor Globe are actively developed,
> they only receive critical bug fixes whenever necessary.  And thanks,
> Philipp and Isis, for doing that!
>
> So, when deciding which of the two services we should keep, I looked
> at the number of daily requests to both services, which shows that
> Globe is used a lot less than Atlas:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/atlas-globe-2016-04-01.png

I am probably causing a significant portion of those requests tbh. I use
Globe quite a bit especially when investiguating bad relays.

Anyway, Tim mentionned it below that a simple URL rewrite to the
fingerprint search to Altas would be needed. I've seen links to Globe in
commits and in the dirauth-conf bad configuration. They they could be
changed and track down all Globe URLs but a simple rewrite would simply
make it simpler.

> The hope is that retiring Globe could make it more likely that new
> developers start contributing to Atlas.  It would also make it easier
> for us to add new feature to Atlas, because we wouldn't feel bad for
> not adding them to Globe, too.  In any case, we're getting rid of yet
> one more thing.

I'm good with Atlas. There are things that annoys me with it but if we
only have one portal, it's a good reason for me to concentrate on fixing
what annoys me instead of going to Globe :).

Thanks for this!
David