[tor-project] Plan to retire Globe

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Apr 26 19:20:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:22:04AM -0400, David Goulet wrote:
> I'm good with Atlas. There are things that annoys me with it but if we
> only have one portal, it's a good reason for me to concentrate on fixing
> what annoys me instead of going to Globe :).

Two more data points:

1) Much of the time, when I load globe.torproject.org in my Iceweasel, I
get a blank page. Nothing comes up -- I think maybe I'm getting javascript
but it's choosing not to render anything on the page. It works fine for
me in Tor Browser.

2) When David loads atlas in his Tor Browser with security slider set to
high, it doesn't load any of the graphs (it displays a big red "No Data"
in place of each graph).

For the second one, I think that Atlas is pulling its data from some
third party site, and if you can't reach that site, you don't load
anything. Whereas maybe Globe fixed that "bug" (aka poor design choice)
somewhere after the fork?

In summary, I'm fine with the current trajectory of keeping our atlas
and dropping our globe.

--Roger