[tor-onions] Run onion on boot

ronqonions at risley.net ronqonions at risley.net
Mon Mar 22 16:51:12 UTC 2021

Hi!

I am a bit leery of adding everything necessary to run a Tor onion service to "software like dropbear-initramfs, cryptsetup-initrafs and others". I've solved this problem by adding a Raspberry Pi Zero W to the mix. The Pi connects to the remote server via the USB port where it gets its power and emulates a human interface device (HID) -- essentially it acts as a keyboard. I use Tor Browser to shell into the Pi, then a simple bash script to send keystrokes to the server.

I started to develop this as a formal project, but got buried by COVID-related issues (I'm a physician). There's a sketchy kind of write-up about it on one of my blogs:

https://looseassociations.com/?p=518

I know this isn't really what you're looking for, but it does the job.

Please let us know if you find out anything more about adding an onion service to one oft the initramfs solutions.

Peace...

--Ron