[tor-onions] Run onion on boot

Amuza en Hackea amuza at hackea.org
Fri Mar 5 17:58:45 UTC 2021

Amuza en Hackea:
> Hello,
>
> With software like dropbear-initramfs, cryptsetup-initrafs and others
> you can remotely unlock a server that has a LUKS-encrypted root
> partition. That is possible because there is an SSH server running in
> its unencrypted boot partition.
>
> I would like to have an onion service running in the boot partition too,
> that way I could remotely unlock the root partition without caring about
> ports, DNS, etc.
>
> How could I make it?
>
> Any advise, suggestion or step-by-step guide would be very much welcome,
> but please have in mind that I am not a developer...
>
> Thank you very much!

I'm not sure I explained properly. Just in case I did not I will add
that I am talking about being able to reboot an encrypted system and
being able to remotely enter its decrypting passphrase through Tor so
that it boots completely.

That would require having an onion service in its unencrypted boot
partition. And I would like to know how to do so : )