[tor-onions] Onion-routing of The Free Software Foundation Europe

kreyren at rixotstudio.cz kreyren at rixotstudio.cz
Wed Jan 27 20:57:41 UTC 2021

On 1/27/21 1:22 PM, Hiro/Silvia wrote:
> [...]
>> Overall the (D)DoS is part of a threat model as FSFE has been (D)DoSed
>> in the past where the main concern is Gitea as the static pages require
>> an unreasonable amount of resources to be taken down atm.
> So onion service DoS is a bit different than normal DoS, because the
> target in this case is the tor daemon. So while the website will still
> be reached on the normal internet in the case of onion service DoS it
> will be the onion that will not be reached.
>
> Check out this blog post to have a better idea:
> https://blog.torproject.org/stop-the-onion-denial
>
>> About Apache -> This is currently used by the webserver and needs to be
>> implemented with priority in
>> https://git.fsfe.org/fsfe-system-hackers/webserver-bunsen/src/branch/master/files/apache2-sites
>> (currently tracked in
>> https://git.fsfe.org/fsfe-system-hackers/webserver-bunsen/pulls/7). Any
>> relevant information to the implementation is appreciated as i am
>> currently struggling with making the TLS-over-onion work there where
>> apache should strip the TLS when the website is accessed over onions.
>> Any relevant information appreciated.
> I am not particularly familiar with the specific Apache syntax but why
> do you want to strip the TLS?
> Can't you just specify a different configuration for the onion in Apache
> where TLS is not used? Like a different VirtualHost that use port 80 for
> the onion?
>
>> About Nginx -> Currently not an option as the website is already using
>> Apache.
>>
>> About EOTK -> I would like to implement this as an alternative
>> configuration for system hackers to have a choice and do their research
>> more efficiently and I assume that being a better implementation here as
>> we currently want to onionize gitea service which based on my experience
>> on https://git.dotya.ml requires changing of non-relative links within
>> the webapp (which can be done in nginx/apache, but seems to be painful
>> to maintain?).
> What do you mean alternative configuration?
>
> We are also working on a library of scripts for different configuration
> systems. For example:
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/hiro/terraform-onions for terraform.
>

>> FWIW i am also considering decentralization for the static pages where
>> the theory is to reduce the system load, make the websites less
>> vulnerable to (D)DoS and make the websites to load faster as the
>> webserver would be closer to the client in question. I am not aware of
>> sane configuration for this over onions, but any relevant info appreciated.
>>
> Do you mean serving the static pages from different mirrors?
> I think in this case you might want to consider using a v3 onionbalance
> master onion and implement a few fronts and then add all their onion
> addresses to onionbalance's configuration and run it. If DoS over onion
> is a big concern for you I think running 2/3 fronts is a good idea.

How realistic is (D)DoS over onion on FSFE? Afaik onion-service (v3)
should have a mitigation for that?

If the (D)DoS over onion on the tor daemon is a concern then:
1. How to prevent Onion (D)DoS on static pages?
2. How to handle (D)DoS on the Gitea instance? The Proof-of-work is
currently not an option as the access to that is granted only to the
supporters so i guess the concern would be git pulling?
3. The login prompt on https://id.fsfe.org/authorization seems to be a
concern where captcha + rate limitation per IP seems a sufficient solution?

 > What do you mean alternative configuration?

Afaik the system hackers are currently working on a solution using
apache where i understand that EOTK would be independent from apache as
a standalone solution?

 > https://gitlab.torproject.org/hiro/terraform-onions

I don't have access to view that so waiting for an account atm

About decentralization the proof-of-concept is
https://thedecentralizedweb.com/ (not necessary that this solution would
be used) where the current theory of implementation is allowing anyone
to provide a mirror of the website to join the decentralized stack so
that from the point of view of the user the website is the same without
any noticable changes, but reachable from multiple machines to do load
balancing and routing optimization.

The current idea is using self-deployed DNS server that would do the
load balancing with some logic to verify that the served website has not
been altered from the main one where the onion-balance with few tweaks
might be a good solution for onion services, but i don't know how
painful it would be to implement it to allow painless integration of
mirrors atm.

About apache i think i made it to work the way i want atm, will let you
know about the result as i do more research and based on the input from
system hackers (that are in charge of the implementation).

--
- Krey