[tor-onions] Matrix/Synapse as Onion Service

shadow shadow at systemli.org
Sun Jan 31 16:31:25 UTC 2021

Hey all fellow list members,

does anyone of you has been able to set up Matrix / Synapse / Element as
an onion service?

There are are open tickets regarding this:
* https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/issues/5152

and also a Cloudflare level implementation:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-onion-service/

But I wonder if anyone of you already set it up and what your experience
have been with it. To me it looks like, that there are multiple problems
and several layers (depending on your Matrix Setup). For example if you
use the ansible roles for setting up matrix in a docker environment
(https://github.com/spantaleev/matrix-docker-ansible-deploy)

Have a nice sunday afternoon,

shadow // systemli.org