[tor-onions] Connection to a hidden service with a RFC 6455 web-socket - advice on risks please

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:55:18 UTC 2018

On 6 March 2018 at 17:54, Michael Jonker <michael at openpoint.ie> wrote:

> 2)  Bisq 's infrastructural backbone runs as a P2P network over TOR
> network. Clients talk to each other and there are various  hidden services
> providing network resources.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I tried writing up suggestions for
hardening hidden services to preserve their anonymity:

https://github.com/alecmuffett/the-onion-diaries/blob/master/basic-production-onion-server.md

...although the above was written long before I got seriously into EOTK,
and into the amazing benefits of using Unix-domain sockets to connect my
webservers and tor-daemons.

Aside: the benefits of Unix-domain sockets include:

- massively increased resistance to socket-table-filling
denial-of-onion-service attacks, and faster recovery times
- (probably) lower latency
- reduced (but not eliminated) risk of IP metadata leakage of internet
address, etc, because less reliance on network addresses

But between *that* document, and some of the tech in EOTK, there may be
some useful hardening tips for you.

    - alec

--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm