[tor-onions] Renaming Rendezvous Single Onion Services

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 13:17:00 UTC 2016

> If we do end up choosing a feature-based name, I think we could start with
> a base name like:
> (With credit to a thesaurus antonyms section...)
> * Visible Service
> * Obvious Service
> * Overt Service
> * Open Service
> * Revealed Service
> * Known Service
>
> Then we could add "Onion" to distinguish Tor services when necessary in
> context.
>
> We can also add:
> * "Rendezvous", or
> * "Extend" / "(OR)Port" to distinguish between the different onion
> services.

I'd suggest that the general goal is to convey the value proposition and
avoid abstract or ambiguous terms that require further explanation.
Running through the list of suggestions:

visible: begs the question "to whom?" and whether a traditional HS is not
"visible"

obvious: not bad, but begs grammarians to criticise it

overt: i like this; I like "flagrant" too.  both of them speak to the
concept that this is the complement of a "hidden" service

open: very good, traditional, positive word, but with overloaded meaning
(the open service is closed for maintenance)

revealed: not bad, but grammar again.  "overt" is better.

known: same criticism as "visible"; if you're shooting for this you might
want to consider "attested" instead?

    -a