[tor-mirrors] Volunteers needed?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Dec 3 04:52:16 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 05:57:27PM -0600, Tyler Johnson wrote:
> Should I be contacting each mirror owner, or just remove them from the list
> if the websites listed don't resolve or return an error?

Can't hurt to contact them, if you want.

I think many of the dead ones were added many years ago, and have
been dead for many years, so they will probably be surprised to be
contacted. But again, it can't hurt, and might help. :)

But if you don't want to go through that hassle, just removing the dead
ones will still be quite useful. I did a round of removing them some
months ago, so there shouldn't be quite as many dead ones as before.

(For extra fun, when I run the mirror check script from my Verizon
connection, Verizon lies to me about all DNS lookups that don't resolve,
leading the script to take a really long time to time out for each
address that was secretly unresolvable. Hopefully you won't have that
particular problem.)

> I will certainly look into this too, although I'll admit, my perl skills
> are lacking. However, I have been wanting to learn a new programming
> language, so if there isn't a huge rush, I'll tackle it.

No rush -- it has been sitting waiting for somebody to pick it up for
a long time now.

Thanks!
--Roger