[tor-l10n] Updates weblate: new validations and locale updates

tor l10n team tor-l10n at lists.torproject.org
Thu Feb 2 12:36:00 UTC 2023

Fellow translators!

Some updates for you about Localization in Tor Project:

New checks/validators
=====================

This last month I have been thinking on a way to give translators the tools to self-learn and improve their knowledge, especially regarding HTML or other codes, syntax, and other special types of characters.

I enabled the test for Markdown text on our markdown-based websites, and other XML checks in different resources.

I also used the Placeholders check to make more granular checks, some only limited to one string, to make sure we translate well and dare I say more comfortably.

If you have some time to improve translations, please have a look at the failing checks for your language in weblate. Choose your language at https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/tor/#languages and then click on Tools>Failing checks on the menu.

If you feel that a check gives to many false positives, or could be otherwise improved, please let me know.

Most urgent translations needed
===============================

Tor Browser Manual
------------------

It has updates, and now it comes inside the Tor Browser which makes it very important for when you still haven't been able to connect. The most urgent translations, along with the current translation percentage, are:

bn : 41 %
ca : 36 %
el : 64 %
ga : 27 %
he : 69 %
lt : 44 %
pt-BR : 59 %
pt-PT : 44 %
th : 31 %

Although we need translations for many more languages, these are already released and an update is needed.
So, please take some time to translate at https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/tor/tor-browser-user-manual/ if you can.

Support portal
--------------

We have added a lot of documentation about onion services, relay operators and other complicated stuff. Please review your language if you know about Tor, so we make sure the documentation makes sense. Many translators may just be starting to learn about Tor, and overlook or translate differently words like 'bridge' 'client authorisation' and so on. Please try to improve the Glossary for your language as you translate, to help with the consistency.

The most important languages, released and outdated at the moment, are:

bn : 16 %
ca : 17 %
fr : 39 %
ga : 11 %